• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help. Can't connect using wifi w/ new Cappy's.

I've have the Captivate for about 30 days and had the same problem with my Linksys G WRT54GS ver. 6 (model number is on the bottom of your linksys) wireless router. The Captivate could detect it but never connect. I went to the linksys website to look for the lastest firmware update at Linksys Support and found I was way overdue. I downloaded the firmware version for my model and then went to the web console for the router. Under Administration you'll find a firmware upgrade tab...then just browse for you downloaded file and let the router do it's thing. This fixed my issues with the captivate...thankfully. Hope a firmware upgrade will help everyone else. I also use the WPA2 Personal with TKIP+AES setting.

Upvote 0
Not entirely the same, but I started using a Captivate a few days ago and wifi was fine. My router has been failing so I had planned to replace it with a newer dual band N so I bought a Linksys E2000.

I was previously using simple WEP on the router but the E2000 gave me a pop-up about my Wireless-N devices only operating at "G" speeds under WEP, so I bumped it up to WPA2 Personal. Set everything up, connected the laptops in my house with no issue and was happy til I tried to connect my Captivate. It wouldn't even SEE the new router.

Long story short, during my setup of the new router, I set it to use the 5Ghz range instead of the usual 2.4Ghz. Switched down to 2.4Ghz and it immediately saw the network and allowed me to connect. (I only thought of it becasue I had tried changing everything else!)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones