• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help! Can't enable wifi icon in notifications bar....

keithbrown53

Dec 18, 2011
Hi there,

Was adding videos onto daughter's s2 earlier today. Checked the videos were OK, and then noticed the wifi icon in the notifications bar was in the 'mid-green' state, and not completely enabled. Long story short - it just will not go full green. It will disconnect, and go grey, but then clicking it again just send it mid green for 1-2 secs, and then it's greyed out again.

I've rebooted several times, and pulled the battery.

Phone is on 4.1.2, not rooted.

Daughter doesn't have a sim card, just uses the phone for web access via wi-fi, videos and music. Stuck my Sim in, and tried a couple of 'fix my wifi' apps via the play store, with no joy.

Turning flight mode on and off, GPS, bluetooth via the notifications app all work fine. At a loss what to do next.

Help appreciated.

Cheers,

Keith.

Try deleting the Wi-Fi setting for the connection and then setting it back up again.

Hi there,

Thanks for the response.

An update: prior to reading your response, I removed the battery again, and left it out overnight. This morning, the wifi icon will go green. On viewing a first web page, everything looks normal. I can see the page, and the icon is green. On trying to view a second webpage, the icon disables, and the second page does not appear.

With the icon green, I made the phone 'forget' the network. Assume this is what you meant? I then reconnected, typing in the password again, and I get the same behaviour as in the paragraph above. Green icon for first page, disables on attempting to view a second page.

Would be grateful for any further ideas.

Regards,

Keith.

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone,
I am so pissed off with Samsung already. My S2 has the same problem. The wifi icon keep toggle on and off. The same goes to the holo icon at setting(Wifi). It cant on wifi.

Fxxk Samsung! Lol sorry quite stress already. Apparently, I could get it on(by luck) after switching off for few hours completely and re-on.

Is it ok to do factory reset will it solve the problem.

Thanks
:thinking:

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone,
I am so pissed off with Samsung already. My S2 has the same problem. The wifi icon keep toggle on and off. The same goes to the holo icon at setting(Wifi). It cant on wifi.

Fxxk Samsung! Lol sorry quite stress already. Apparently, I could get it on(by luck) after switching off for few hours completely and re-on.

Is it ok to do factory reset will it solve the problem.

Thanks
:thinking:

Not sure what has happened to my daughter's S2. When I made the post above, it just would not activate wifi via the green 'holo' icon, as you have called it. She then took the phone away on a trip for a few days....and when she came back, it was fine again, and connects to the home wifi no problem at all.

So, it did seem to be an intermittent issue, which for now at least, has resolved itself...

Upvote 0
Hi Keith,

I'm sorry you have had so much trouble. I know the feeling. I also know the solution. I went on the internet and spent several days trying all the proposed fixes to no avail. My mobile provider's tech department told me I would have to factory reset. Forget it! Here is the fix that I tried after brainstorming and it worked!

You will need to log into your router. Once logged in, go to the Troubleshooting tab. Click on it and then click on Reset/Reboot Gateway. You should now see several choices: Reset, Reset Wifi Module, Reset Wifi Router, Restore Wifi Settings, Reset Password, Restore factory settings. You should choose reset wifi router. Once you have done this wait a minute. Then go into your cell phone's settings and click on wifi to turn it on. Once it scans for networks it will find your network and connect. You may need to click on wifi and then click connect on the popup window. Give it a few seconds and you should see the phone connecting. It will say "connected" and you will be good to go.

I hope this helps. Please remember that every router's interface is slightly different. However, your goal is to reset the wifi router. My unit is an Arris modem/router, so it may differ slightly. If you don't know how to log into your router you can call your Internet Service Provider and they will walk you through it and give you the username and password for your particular router. The process is very fast and easy. You can also google how to log into your particular router.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones