• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help can't install browser apk

xXKR0NUSXx

Lurker
Sep 1, 2011
Help!!! Have lg optimus metro one rooted my phone to delete the useless stuff with root explorer and accidentally deleted the browser apk and the other one. I downloaded them both from the place on the earler post. Then used root explorer to put them back into the system/app folder but I can't install it just keep saying not able to install. I even tried with terminal emulator but nothings working.

I need it back cuz when I download something from the market place it say android.process.media has stoped and force closes. But it still downloads it I just have to open the market again and it will start installing then it force closes. It installs the apps and they work fine its just it force closing all the time is annoying

Place the browser.apk file in your system, app file on your phone using root explorer, then change the permissions of the file to match every other one of the apps permissions, to find out just click any other app in that file and click permissions to view them, ok after your browser.apk permissions match those of every other app just simply reboot your phone and it should install itself, I have had the EXACT same problem, and just did this, it worked just fine :)

EDIT: long press an app to bring up the permission options, and make sure root explorer is set to read-write, toggle this on by clicking the small white button on top smiler in root explorer

Upvote 0
place the browser.apk file in your system, app file on your phone using root explorer, then change the permissions of the file to match every other one of the apps permissions, to find out just click any other app in that file and click permissions to view them, ok after your browser.apk permissions match those of every other app just simply reboot your phone and it should install itself, i have had the exact same problem, and just did this, it worked just fine :)

edit: Long press an app to bring up the permission options, and make sure root explorer is set to read-write, toggle this on by clicking the small white button on top smiler in root explorer

wow this is the best post for getting the browser.apk back!!!!! Wish i could click thanks 1000 times!!!!!

Upvote 0
I got it to do like a halfass install. The icon is loaded in the system apps screen and the home mneu and I can update and install apps but in the middle of the install is says "the application MetroWEB (process com.android browser) has stopped unexpectedly. please try again. Force close." But I still see the app download and install in the background. Any info on this? If I hit force close in the middle of the dl then it doesn't install.

Side note with the optimus M you can download and install market apps without the browser.apk I found. If you use think office. DL the file from the market using the stock version (1.8) go to your download folder with thinkoffice and you can hard install the file.

Upvote 0
I got it to do like a halfass install. The icon is loaded in the system apps screen and the home mneu and I can update and install apps but in the middle of the install is says "the application MetroWEB (process com.android browser) has stopped unexpectedly. please try again. Force close." But I still see the app download and install in the background. Any info on this? If I hit force close in the middle of the dl then it doesn't install.

Side note with the optimus M you can download and install market apps without the browser.apk I found. If you use think office. DL the file from the market using the stock version (1.8) go to your download folder with thinkoffice and you can hard install the file.

If i'm not mistaken you need to use terminal emulator to flash this on your phone. You need to start up terminal emulator, type in su, make sure Terminal got its permissions granted and then type the following:

Chmod 644 system/app/Browser.apk

After that you should get no error and proceed to the next line with it being blank. In that line just type in reboot and see if it works ;)

Upvote 0
Place the browser.apk file in your system, app file on your phone using root explorer, then change the permissions of the file to match every other one of the apps permissions, to find out just click any other app in that file and click permissions to view them, ok after your browser.apk permissions match those of every other app just simply reboot your phone and it should install itself, I have had the EXACT same problem, and just did this, it worked just fine :)

EDIT: long press an app to bring up the permission options, and make sure root explorer is set to read-write, toggle this on by clicking the small white button on top smiler in root explorer

Yes, of course that's what you're supposed to do, but that really has not worked at all for me. :( Also, I can't use any app that needs Internet, not just Market.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones