• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HELP- Can't Make/Receive Calls/Texts even though full signal

dk79

Lurker
Nov 24, 2010
Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this was addressed before but wasn't able to find anything after scouring the forums for the last couple of hours. I'm desperate at this point.

I'm not able to make or receive calls or texts even though i have full bars/signal strength. I notice this most in certain areas in the city (San Francisco) but it seems like there is a 50/50 chance that I'll be able to make a call or send a text. Needless to say, this is extremely frustrating since I miss calls and texts. Data works perfectly fine, both 4g and 3g.

The phone will say it's dialing and then the bars will go completely blank and then reappear. It will then say "Call origination attempt fails due to an immediate signal loss (signal fade or no service available)".

I called Sprint and they checked all the towers. They said everything was fine. I can't imagine I'm the only one who has this problem, but it only started happening a few weeks ago.

Please help me. I don't want to take it into Sprint just yet since all they'll do is hard reset or give me a refurbed phone. I'm trying to avoid that. Thanks.

Yes, I have updated my PRL and Profile, almost every day since this has been happening. I don't even get roaming b/c it seems that my phone is locking to a Sprint tower which is why I have full bars of signal. It's just that when I try to make/receive calls or texts, it won't. Any advice would be huge help.

And no, I am not rooted. Stock. I uninstalled Task Killer b/c I thought it was making my phone lag (which it was) but don't know if that had anything to do with this problem.

Upvote 0
i just did a factory reset today as a last resort and all it did was make it a pain to put everything back on (lost all the hard work i did on angry birds).

sounds like at this point all i can do is go to sprint?

anyone know if the radio interferences have anything to do with anything? if i root my phone, would i be able to control which towers i can lock to?

(side note, thanks matlock, was reading about all the root stuff you put online, very useful in case i ever decide to root)

Upvote 0
well took to sprint store who told me that it was def a hardware issue and i could get a refurb for 35 bucks since it's still under warranty. thought this was bs so i called sprint up and they're sending me a refurb phone without their garbage fee. i really hate sprint customer service. i don't have proper service for 4 weeks and they won't do squat to compensate me. anyone have any luck? i also wasn't happy that i was getting a refurb 5 months after i bought a new one. they really didn't care.

Upvote 0
well took to sprint store who told me that it was def a hardware issue and i could get a refurb for 35 bucks since it's still under warranty. thought this was bs so i called sprint up and they're sending me a refurb phone without their garbage fee. i really hate sprint customer service. i don't have proper service for 4 weeks and they won't do squat to compensate me. anyone have any luck? i also wasn't happy that i was getting a refurb 5 months after i bought a new one. they really didn't care.

considering your options it really isn't that bad of a deal. you have the option of sending the unit to the manufacturer and waiting on their diagnosis and fix under warranty...or sprint can help you in an expedited fashion for a $35 fee. They didn't make the phone and did not offer the warranty, HTC did.

It's cool they waived the fee for you tho. You might call them up and see if they will override the system and allow you to buy the monthly insurance.....

many with insurance are posting that their issues are taken care of with no fees unless lost or stolen

Upvote 0
Toledo, Ohio started having problems in the 43611 zip started Oct 19 almost a month ago. No steady service, have gotten no where with sprint, and spoke to some jerk named Chris who was very rude. If you live in Toledo and are experiencing these problems please call these Direct Lines for sprint 1-817-215-3530 or Terrell @ 405-603-7289 this issue needs to be resolved asap!

Upvote 0
I live in the 43611 zip and yes, same problems that you have. We have 2 Evo's and whatever happened in Oct (heavy winds) affected the usage of our phones while at home. Sprint continues to make promises of correcting the problem. As of last night they are wanting to send me some sort of booster.. The next step for me is to attempt to get free from my contract with Sprint somehow and change to Verizon and hope for better coverage. Can't go on this way any longer. 6 weeks and counting.

Upvote 0
Hi. New to this. wow, so many people with the crap or no signal problems. i bought a 2nd hand handset which the seller told me was locked on vodafone, well dialled vodafone (since i'm on contract) and asked them to unlock the handset. anyway they got apple to unlock it. Weird thing is even before the unlocking i didn't have signal with vodafone or any other network. so i was fiddling with the phone just a few hours ago and surprise t-mobile got coverage. got 2 problems now:
1. i cant make or receive calls and texts even though i got signal.
2. only t-mobile sim cards working.

Upvote 0
Hi, I was reading your problems here and I figured out something really wierd. If I turn off 'show my number', I can't make any calls anymore. I use a Samsung Galaxy S with Android 2.3.6. My telco is completely different (tele2) but it might be helpfull to check it out (settings - call settings - all calls - show my number - by network)

Upvote 0
Hi, I was reading your problems here and I figured out something really wierd. If I turn off 'show my number', I can't make any calls anymore. I use a Samsung Galaxy S with Android 2.3.6. My telco is completely different (tele2) but it might be helpfull to check it out (settings - call settings - all calls - show my number - by network)

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just an fyi this is an evo 4g forum. unfortunately, the evo is built slightly different then your phone. we have no "all calls" settings to be able to show or not show the # which is too bad cuz that is kind of cool to have that function.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones