• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help! Can't restore Angry Birds data!

I installed a modded version of Angry Birds with no ads (because Rovio doesn't offer a paid version) but first I had to uninstall the original Angry Birds. I used adb pull to back up highscores.lua and settings.lua, and that worked fine. I installed the new one, and then used adb push to restore the files. Except it didn't work. It's giving me a "permission denied" error. Isn't adb push supposed to be able to do that? I saw the system partition was by default mounted read-only, and that I can remount it in adb shell with su, but typing su just says "permission denied", which is the same message it gives for commands that don't exist. The site that says to use su doesn't say it has to be rooted, and I don't want to root mine right now. I have an HTC Thunderbolt btw. How can I fix this? I have the backed-up game data, but getting it onto my phone is the problem.

(I don't know how hard this would be, but would somebody be able to mod Angry Birds to not only remove the ads, but also copy the highscores.lua and settings.lua files from the SD card? Obviously the Angry Birds app, with the UTI com.rovio.angrybirds, is able to, so wouldn't a modded version with the same UTI?)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones