• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help! Captivate does not see my external SD card reader anymore

nicracine

Nov 29, 2009
I just noticed that my captivate dos not see the external SD card anymore.
At first, I though it was a bad card. So I tried another one I have. No luck.

I connect to my computer through USB, and the computer can read and write to the card just fine.

To be sure, I formatted the card with the captivate, and synchronized an album with MediaMonkey. Sync went flawlessly, and the songs are readable through the USB cable. However, if I try to read the card using Astro file manager or even the My Files app, there is nothing.

Looks like a software glitch. I hope I don't have to hard reset the phone. I performed the Froyo update two days ago. Could that be the cause?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ok, I got sick of it, and performed a full reset of the phone.

I found the problem. With Rogers' Froyo, the external SD card is accessed through the external_sd directory of the internal card. In 2.1, this directory was simply named sd. So, any program using a path to the external sd card would not see it anymore.

I have had problems with my internal SD card too. Even though it was not full, I could not use more than 2.2 Gb of storage. I suspect the problem is the same.

So my advice would be to perform a reset of the phone before applying the Rogers' Froyo update.

Upvote 0
I am in USA on AT&T and have same issue. Your idea of going to external SD is exactly right. I spent 2 hrs with Samsung on Chat and they pushed hard Reset. Of course they did, that is all they know to say. They don't understand the time it takes to rebuild. Thanks for telling me about external_sd. I just deleted SD. Samsung support doesn't care or know.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones