1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help connecting my phone to car's USB port

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by maxpower49, Dec 28, 2011.

1. maxpower49

maxpower49 Newbie

I just got a 2010 Infiniti G37. It has a USB port, but no aux input and no Bluetooth audio streaming (wtf Infiniti?). It reads and plays iPods and iPhones just fine. I can not get it to recognize my android phone at all (Motorola triumph running stock 2.2 rooted). It will recognize flash drives though. I think the problem with the phone is it takes a few seconds to click 'connect USB storage' and then 'ok' before it reports itself as a mass storage device. By that time the car is already reporting an error. I have tried with debugging on and off... Makes no difference. So, is there any tweak, app, or hack I can do to force my phone into USB mode (without the prompts) every time I connect it?

This is actually a pretty important feature to me and I'm disappointed I can't get my phone and new car to play nice. Might even consider switching to an iPhone if there is no other option. :( Please help.

Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Android Enthusiast

I was going to give you a quote from a similar problem in a different forum, but it is so unclear I think it would confuse you as much as it did me. The gist of what it says is that your car system might not have the proper drivers for your phone. Similar to when you connect the phone to a computer and at first it says "installing Drivers".

The author suggests there may be an app in the Market which will help the car recognize the phone.

I searched the market and finally found this app which seems promising and worth your investigation as a possible solution.

https://market.android.com/details?id=newpotato.tunelink&feature=search_result

Hope it does the trick for you.

3. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User

You could try in the phone's settings ('Connect to PC') to set the phone to 'Disk drive' as default connection type.
    So there is no need to handle the button 'Connect USB drive' :)

But it could be a driver problem of the car's USB device like the poster above said.

Harry

4. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy

So it errors out before you can switch it into Disk Mode? Try this:

Plug in, switch to Disk Mode. When it's fully into disk mode, turn the radio to umm...radio or something other than USB, then switch back to USB. See if it tries to re-attempt connection.

5. maxpower49

maxpower49 Newbie

Do you know where the 'connect to pc' option is? I'm not seeing it on stock Froyo.

6. Harry2

I have it on my HTC phone.

Just had a look at my old HTC Desire with Froyo, there is the same 'Connect to PC' in 'Settings'. Can select the default connection type.
    And what I forgot in my post above: Have to uncheck 'Ask me about USB connection type whenever I connect my phone to a PC'.

Sorry to hear that you haven't that in 'Settings' on your phone.

Harry

7. maxpower49

maxpower49 Newbie

What settings menu is that option located under? My phone runs stock android 2.2.

8. John Redcorn

John Redcorn Android Enthusiast

The option to always go to mass storage mode when usb plugged might be an htc sense thing, I don't have it on cm7 but I do remember it being there when I ran stock sense rom.

Harry2 likes this.
  9. Harry2

As John said, this option might be a HTC Sense thing.

Harry