• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help! Damaged sd card, cant format

Okay so yesterday I was looking at my pictures , then an hour later I tried to pull up NY pica to show a friend something. When I tried to pull up my gallery, it said there wasn't error and the pics were unavailable. So I turned my phone off, turned it back on, & that's when I got the message saying my SD car is damaged & that I need to format it. So when I try to click the button to do so, it doesn't do anything. It lets me click it... but doesn't do anything. So I went into settings. Then to storage.. and there's a button to deleted everything off SD card. But again, it doesn't do anything! Help please!!! I was on the phone with at&t & Motorola for 2 hours last night and the only thing they told me to try was master reset my phone. Which I'm not gonna do. The phone is fine. Its the SD card. Oh & this is the second SD card I've bought for this phone. The first one got too full & wouldn't let mbopn anything. So I bought this one..and now this is happening. Is it my phone? It is it the SD card? Thanks for your help in advance.

Probably the card is bad, but it's possible - unlikely, but possible - the phone has a problem. You won't know for sure until you try the card in another phone or in a card reader, eliminating your phone as the trouble. An AT&T store should be able to help you with that.

First, make sure the card is properly seated and making contact. Shut off the phone, remove the card, reinstall and reboot.

If it is the phone, I can't say if a factory reset will help. It's possible.

Upvote 0
my android phone gave me the Damaged message the other day and i couldnt get the card to format in anything, everything gave me an error message and my pc wasnt seeing the card :thinking:

this worked for me :): connect your sd card to your pc usng an adapter and use a formating program, here's one: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/
it was a bit slow (probably because my card was damaged) but it worked

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones