1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help! Damaged sd card, cant format

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Ccooksey0628, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Ccooksey0628

Ccooksey0628 Lurker

Okay so yesterday I was looking at my pictures , then an hour later I tried to pull up NY pica to show a friend something. When I tried to pull up my gallery, it said there wasn't error and the pics were unavailable. So I turned my phone off, turned it back on, & that's when I got the message saying my SD car is damaged & that I need to format it. So when I try to click the button to do so, it doesn't do anything. It lets me click it... but doesn't do anything. So I went into settings. Then to storage.. and there's a button to deleted everything off SD card. But again, it doesn't do anything! Help please!!! I was on the phone with at&t & Motorola for 2 hours last night and the only thing they told me to try was master reset my phone. Which I'm not gonna do. The phone is fine. Its the SD card. Oh & this is the second SD card I've bought for this phone. The first one got too full & wouldn't let mbopn anything. So I bought this one..and now this is happening. Is it my phone? It is it the SD card? Thanks for your help in advance.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Ccooksey0628

Ccooksey0628 Lurker

Sorry for he typos! I'm on my phone. I meant my pics * not NY pica. & also, there was an error* not wasn't error. Sorry

3. Ccooksey0628

Ccooksey0628 Lurker

Ugh sorry! Found another typo.at the end I meant to say when it got too full it wouldn't let me open anything

4. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

Have you tried reading the cards in a computer (card reader or SD card slot) or with the phone connected to a computer inn USB mass storage mode?

5. Ccooksey0628

Ccooksey0628 Lurker

Yes. When I plugged it in, it said to insert SD card :(

6. Crashdamage

When you say 'plugged it in' using what method? Read my 1st reply again.

7. Ccooksey0628

Ccooksey0628 Lurker

Sorry I'm new to this. I connected the phone to the computer with the usb

8. Crashdamage

Probably the card is bad, but it's possible - unlikely, but possible - the phone has a problem. You won't know for sure until you try the card in another phone or in a card reader, eliminating your phone as the trouble. An AT&T store should be able to help you with that.

First, make sure the card is properly seated and making contact. Shut off the phone, remove the card, reinstall and reboot.

If it is the phone, I can't say if a factory reset will help. It's possible.

9. Ccooksey0628

Ccooksey0628 Lurker

Thanks so much for your help

10. futazh

futazh Lurker

try to use another phone to reformat your phone.

11. androiderer

androiderer Lurker

my android phone gave me the Damaged message the other day and i couldnt get the card to format in anything, everything gave me an error message and my pc wasnt seeing the card :thinking:

this worked for me :): connect your sd card to your pc usng an adapter and use a formating program, here's one: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/
    it was a bit slow (probably because my card was damaged) but it worked

12. danny aditya

danny aditya Lurker

@androider.. what is exactly the type of adapter that you mean?

13. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

I think he means a card reader adapter you can put your sd card into the adapter and plug the adapter into the USB port on your computer:)