• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help!!! Damaged SD card!!!

bigbohizzle

Mar 9, 2010
Pa
I just woke my phone after a phone call and now it says that the sd card is damaged and I need to reformat everything!!! I have over 200 pictures of my newborn son on here that I can't loose. Can someone please help.

I even tried to hook the phone up to the computer and nothing even shows up.

I just woke my phone after a phone call and now it says that the sd card is damaged and I need to reformat everything!!! I have over 200 pictures of my newborn son on here that I can't loose. Can someone please help.

I even tried to hook the phone up to the computer and nothing even shows up.

Have you considered a data recovery utility, such as Zero Assumption Recovery?

There are many, some free.

Upvote 0
Are you sure the card was mounted before attempting the steps?

I'm wondering a few things about your situation, not the least of which is how full the card was prior to error messages, and also how the damage came about.

If the phone is otherwise functioning normally, usually that means that recovery of lost data on the card is likely because something such as a power surge while charging the device did not ruin it.

If my card became corrupted or elicited error messages, the first thing I would do, following a battery pull and reboot, is use a data recovery utility such as the one I pointed you to.

Next, having failed that, I'd purchase another sd card and make sure the system sees it and it does function and that the problems are not "off card" related.

Incidentally, this is a good lesson in the necessity of doing frequent data backup to the hard drive of your computer. ;)

Upvote 0
if you have a PC that reads micro SD cards, you can try and take yours out and see if your PC will read it.

Yeah, that little adapter that came with the card can come in handy.

I had a friend tell me her sd card "went bad" after leaving the phone in a hot car. She could read it on her computer, but not in the device. I thought the phone was messed up, but the data recovery utility allowed her to transfer it all to a new card and she was good to go.

Upvote 0
I am going to get a card reader because it works in recovery but not in the phone itself. I just want the data and then I can reformat or whatever. Thanks for all the help. I will let you know the outcome.

Sorry we can't be of exacting help, bigbohizzle.. but perhaps you're on the right path.

Do post your findings as that is the stuff that makes this forum so useful.

Upvote 0
I had this issue happen once, I think it was from when I removed the cable without dismounting the card and it was accessing stuff.

What I did to fix it was, I put the card into a reader on my PC and it was able to access everything, so I backed it all up.

I then was ready to format the card, I decided to do a check first on the card, and did a scan disk on the card. This completed, and when mounting it back into the phone everything was working again.

Upvote 0
Ok so I was able to save most of the pictures but the Sd card was corrupt. I had to reformat it and now I do not have any nand back ups. I just did one so that I have my latest but how do I get back to the original 2.1 if I have phone problems?

Frisco I did use that program and it worked great to get most of my pics!!!! Thanks a lot!!!!

Upvote 0
I was getting the same error on my phone, I even tried to unmount the right way on the SD screen in settings. After doing so I received the Damaged SD Card error...

I re-programmed by phone using *228 and now the error is gone and I can see my SD when I sync with my PC which I was not able to do prior to this.

Hope this helps someone sometime...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones