• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help - debranded my Desire - but stuck

Yo,

i debranded my Virgin Mobile HTC Desire (flashed with the stock rom from http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/67098-how-flash-debrand-your-desire.html)

Now i still get the virgin flash screen and virgin media internet link. (which is expected apparently)

But i CANT get the latest OTA update, my versions etc are below

I want to completely debrand my phone so i can get updates etc ....

Firmware Version :: 2.1-update1
Baseband Version :: 32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11
Kernal Version :: 2.6.29-97da29ed
htc-kernal@and18-2
Build Version :: 1.15.405.4 CL155070 release-keys
Software Number :: 1.15.405.4

can anyone help. im majorly stuck

Which is why it is best to use the existing memory card in the phone as a gold card (having previously backed up your stuff)

Perhaps the issue is not using the correct downloaded base firmware from the site in the guide? I know I was a little unsure as to which one to use. Eventually I used the one with the filename 'RUU_Bravo_HTC_Europe_1.15.405.3_Radio_32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11_release_121865' I think. This gave me the base to be able to OTA update all the way to 2.2 with no issues.

Reactions: darthlinux
Upvote 0
I did make a goldcard and it is the one I am using at the moment, all I need to know once I have made the goldcard, do I need to do it again, plus do I just need to plug my phone in put it on disk drive and run the RUU name in jsbombjacks post, if yes then can you link me to the RUU please.

Plus do I run the RUU from my computer or my SD card?

Upvote 0
The process I used was as follows:

1) Remove the SIM Card from my phone (to prevent any sim locking from happening)

2) Copy contents of the existing phone memory card to my laptop (by first connecting the phone as a disk drive only)

3) Using the guide I linked previously, I made the memory card in my phone a goldcard (using the section in the guide marked 'Part 1: Creating a Gold Card'

4) I downloaded the firmware from the linked site in the guide, assuming I had bootloader 0.75 (I had no idea which one I did have so I must have got lucky)

5) Once downloaded, I ran the downloaded program on my laptop with my phone in HTC sync mode - but not while running HTC sync at the same time (though I did have it installed so the drivers were installed)

5) Once installed, still with the sim card not in the phone, I ran the OTA update as many times as it required before it said no more updates and I was running firmware version 2.10.402.2

6) Reinserted SIM card into phone and all was right with the world

7) Restored my contacts from the backup service I use (WaveSecure)

8) Copied the stuff back on to my phone memory card from the backup - left it as a goldcard though

The actual steps are in the 'Update! The newer and simpler debrand method'
but instead of using the froyo rom (could not find a working version) I used the older rom and used OTA updates. The most important thing I found was to not leave the SIM in the phone

Hope this helps

Reactions: darthlinux
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones