1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Help! decrypt sd card using other cell phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BarbarousSaladin, Oct 21, 2017.

1. BarbarousSaladin

None

Oct 21, 2017
    Male
    Germany
    Hey im new to this forum so i bearly know how this things work so please bare with me and my english.

So i had samsung J5 which i recently threw out of anger and then immediately regretted afterwards. but thank God i was able to recover my SD card from the device, which i have encryption enbled on both things i.e(j5 and SD card) i thought i would recover my data from SD card. but soon i had to face a disappointment because when i put my sd card in my knew phone it doesn't load my pictures, videos and mp3 files at all although it shows me the ammount of files and folders that SD Card contains. i know my password of that encryption but it doesnt prompt when i put my card on my new phone. can anyone please help me out what should i do i really need that data. please help asap. thanks.

Advertisement

2. BarbarousSaladin

None

Oct 21, 2017
    Male
    Germany
  3. psionandy

psionandy Android Expert

Dec 5, 2009
    Male
    Gizmonic Institute - mug in a yellow jumpsuit
    liverpool
    Actually I don't think you can know the encryption password for the device, and thats what the problem is.

When the card is encrypted, the key used is stored somewhere in the phones hardware. What you think is "the password of the encryption" isn't that. It is the code that you can enter, which allows the real key to be released to the operating system to allow the data to be decrypted on the fly and read by the device.

So all you have, is the key to the keysafe, where the keys to the device are stored, but you've thrown away the keysafe itself.

In short, I don't think you can use another phone to read it, as it doesn't have the decryption key on it.

And just to make things harder, you can't export the key from on device to another.

(So if you are using an encrypted device, backups become incredibly important)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... If i'm wrong i'm sure someone will correct me.

https://blog.elcomsoft.com/2017/05/android-encryption-demystified/

#3 psionandy, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    ^^^ He's right.

How badly damaged is the J5? The only way you're going to get data off that SD card is to be able to put it back in the device that shares the encryption key.

BarbarousSaladin, svim and Jfalls63 like this.
  5. BarbarousSaladin

None

Oct 21, 2017
    Male
    Germany
    @lunatic59 its pretty bad i think its snapped in two but stil intact somehow i can see a crack in bezels. i can feel littile vibration? when i try to start phone. but no luck with LCD panel. there are million of cracks in LCD though. is there no hope left?

6. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    Ugh. This sounds like a perfect case of "if only USB debugging were enabled". I hate that it's a safety concern to leave it enabled and that there's no way to enable it when it's too late.

If by some miracle you happened to unlock the hidden developer options and enable usb debugging, then there might be hope. You could possibly adb pull the data off your SD card. I'm guessing you probably don't have USB debugging enabled though..?

BarbarousSaladin likes this.
  7. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Screen mirroring was my first thought, but a quick check reveals that the J5 doesn't support MHL. Trying to unlock anything, turn off encryption or activate a WiFi sharing app without being able to see what you are doing will be near impossible.

(I assume from the description that the touchscreen is also dead, but if you can pair a bluetooth mouse or keyboard you can work around that. And the J5 does support OTG, so you can use a USB mouse or keyboard with it. However, without some way of screen mirroring I can't imagine how it can all be done).

8. Phalon4

Phalon4 Android Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2016
    Unfortunately that's the whole reason why the encryption process is put in place is to keep all encrypted information safe from thieves or prying eyes and hackers for that matter and now pretty much from yourself because you don't have the original device to decrypt your data now. This is a long shot but you may get an identical device and try to decrypt it from that one with the proper passcode or pin you enabled with it.

9. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Very long shot though: if they take the encryption remotely seriously they'll have used both device-specific information (e.g. serial number) and something random (e.g. the date/time the encryption was enabled) when constructing the encryption key.

Basically, if using an identical device does allow you to decrypt it that would count as a security failure.

10. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Let me ask you how much this data is worth to you? Assuming it's only the screen that kaput, replacement screen assemblies for the J5 can be found for $50 to $60 and with a little care you could get your phone working long enough to get your information off.

Samsung J5 LCD and touch screen assembly

11. BarbarousSaladin

None

Oct 21, 2017
    Male
    Germany
    @lunatic59 The data is really very important to me but i was wondering is it still repairable or not. besides i got a new phone so i was looking for work around and wanted to ask some pros if there was any possibility to recover it. but G thanks for your help I'll try the screen mirroring and usb debugging first. so i won't regret later on

12. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Without knowing how Samsung generates their keys, it would be impossible for me to say if the data was recoverable in any other way. Knowing how seriously Samsung takes security, I would say not. Sorry. :(

13. Phalon4

Phalon4 Android Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2016
    Sorry but I forgot to ask did you just so happened to backup anything important from your device to a cloud source somewhere by any chance, Like Google Drive or Dropbox? If so you can retrieve so you can retrieve some of your data from there. If not you may want to consider using either of them for future storage if you just so happen to run into this issue again. And just so to let you know you can schedule Google drive to backup your data when you want it to.