• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help deleting write protected file

Heyyeh

Jul 17, 2019
Rather than type all that again, I just uploaded a screenshot where I responded to A very old Post. Wasn't sure how this worked or if anybody was monitoring those. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190717-215926.png
    Screenshot_20190717-215926.png
    174.5 KB · Views: 152
Don't see an edit option for the main post. The title was supposed to say deleting, not deleted.

Here's the actual text, easier to read.

Having issue on Samsung j3 orbit. When I press and hold a file on the home screen, the menu to delete it or remove it from the home screen, the menu to delete or remove it from the home screen, disappears when I try to select anything or slide it up. Long pressing and holding other apps on the home screen brings up a menu that stays even after I let go of the app. Within the apps folder, pressing and holding it to try to get the option to uninstall, simply sends another occurrence of it to the home screen. I'm just a regular Android user and would appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not clear that anything is write protected here, though it sounds like maybe your launcher (the app that provides the desktops and app drawer) is playing up. It could however be that you are doing something odd with the way you are pressing things.

I suggest going into Settings and finding the Apps or App Manager menu. You can use that to uninstall apps rather than any faffing with long presses on icons. You could also locate Touchwiz Home (the Samsung launcher on older devices - not sure what it's called on the latest) and in its Storage options try clearing the cache (just cache) and see whether that improves its performance. Clearing all data for the launcher will nuke your desktops, though that would remove the shortcut for sure.

What is this "file" on the desktop? If it's actually a file I'd suggest using a file manager and deleting the original (anything on the desktop is just a shortcut, not the file itself - there's no desktop folder in Android). If it's really write protected then the file explorer will be the simplest way to change that (unless it's "owned" by some other account). Or you could try installing a terminal emulator and seeing whether you can change file permissions from the command line (chmod ugo+w filename).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This came from a data recovery program downloaded onto Windows 10 laptop and the phone was connected via USB. In these pictures, you'll see it as 'Data recovery all files'. Here are pictures of the app folder and the homescreen. I'm not pressing it strangely. It won't let me uninstall it from the app folder. Instead, each time I try to do that it sends another occurrence to the desktop. You'll see in one of these pictures where I know how to get it to let me delete it or disable it from the home screen. The menu comes up when I choose other homescreen apps or files. I tried to delete it through the file manager on my laptop. That's when it gave me the message saying it was a protected file and that I had to remove that protection before I could do anything with it. I assume that is an unwanted side effect from an otherwise poor application to begin with. I have run Malwarebytes and it doesn't pick it up.

You mentioned downloading a Terminator app. I'm guessing, short of factory resetting the phone, that's probably what I'll have to do but I don't really understand it. Is there a specific app that you recommend? And will it automatically take me to the command prompt? I've done things like that before but while being walked through it.

Upvote 0
It's not letting me upload the images, too large, even after cropping. But you can probably imagine what it looks like. It looks just like an app sitting in the app folder and also it is in triplicate on the home screen.

It is a file though. There's not even anything in the file now but I'm trying to clean up the phone and get it out of the way.

Upvote 0
You mentioned downloading a Terminator app. I'm guessing, short of factory resetting the phone, that's probably what I'll have to do
If I may jump in here, you're misunderstanding what @Hadron suggested. :)

He's talking about a terminal app, that will give you access to Android's Linux command line. Please re-read that part of his reply. If you need help using a terminal, let us know!

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I thought he was saying something along those lines. I have downloaded something called a terminal emulator. When I open it, it gives me a command prompt. I have tried typing what he suggested and putting in the file name with and without spaces, 'data recovery all files'.

Yes, I would like help please. Connecting the phone via USB to the computer, lets me see the file but when I try to get the properties it says they're not available.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones