• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help! Don't understand the "People" App

Garnett

Oct 21, 2010
I have just spent a while linking all my contacts across facebook, gmail, and my old phone contacts list.

I want to put my friends into a group in People and have only that group show in the app.

This is so my random taxi and restaurant numbers don't show up there.

However when I click on say the group "Friends" and then "add contact" a load of contacts no longer show up.

Can anyone help?

OK. Seem to be getting somewhere. If I find the people who disappear when I go to try and add them to a group, they are all solely facebook friends.

I can't edit their contact details.

If I link another contact to them I can then edit their contact details (the option appears at the bottom of their data)

I can then delete the wrongly attached data and I can still edit, and can add them to a group.

Bizarre.

Is there a way of doing this in batches?

Upvote 0
If your contacts are synced with gmail, its MUCH easier to organize and create groups on gmail from a pc then to do it on the phone.
Thanks Sitlet, I tried to do this and it has caused two problems.

I exported all the contacts to SD card, then sent that data to Gmail.

Now:

1) A lot of dross seems to have been pulled through and now everyone who's ever emailed me or who I've ever emailed has become one of "my contacts".

As a workaround in People I have deselected gmail contacts in View, but I think I will now have to start sorting out all these contacts!

2) The friends for whom I only had facebook data have not been pulled through at all.

ANy help greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones