• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help Editing bcm_supp.conf

rbgalax

Lurker
Apr 12, 2010
Hi.
I've been trying to get WPA-EAP working correctly on my galaxy.
I'm running galaxo 1.6.2, and have failed to set it up through the gui.
Also wifi helper does not work as I believe it edits wpa_supplicant.conf, which the galaxy does not use.

So I've tried to edit my bcm_supp.conf manually. I can successfully adb pull it off the device and edit to include an entry for the WPA-EAP network (that works on a computer), and then push it back onto the device.

After I've edited it the wifi will start once showing the new configuration listed and will attempt to connect, however if I stop and resart the wifi I get the error "unable to start wifi".

I assume this has something to do with the permissions on the bcm_supp.conf file?

Can anyone tell me the correct way to edit it and put it back on the device.
Thanks

Hi.
I've been trying to get WPA-EAP working correctly on my galaxy.
I'm running galaxo 1.6.2, and have failed to set it up through the gui.
Also wifi helper does not work as I believe it edits wpa_supplicant.conf, which the galaxy does not use.

So I've tried to edit my bcm_supp.conf manually. I can successfully adb pull it off the device and edit to include an entry for the WPA-EAP network (that works on a computer), and then push it back onto the device.

After I've edited it the wifi will start once showing the new configuration listed and will attempt to connect, however if I stop and resart the wifi I get the error "unable to start wifi".

I assume this has something to do with the permissions on the bcm_supp.conf file?

Can anyone tell me the correct way to edit it and put it back on the device.
Thanks

I have the same problem. Eerytime i modify the bcm_supp.conf file I can run WiFi only once before I get "unable to start Wi-Fi" problem. I tryed to modify through DroidExplorer and through "Astro" and "OI File Manager" from the device.

Upvote 0
I assume you have root, so once you adb push your bcm_supp.conf to /data/wifi/ open a shell on your galaxy (adb shell). then change dir to /data/wifi (cd /data/wifi/) type ls -l to list the permissions of the files in that folder. chances are you lost the ownership of the file when you edited it. The .conf file needs to be owned by "wifi" and group "wifi" "chown wifi.wifi bcm_supp.conf" and if you messed with the permissions you want 660. so "chmod 660 bcm_supp.conf" and that'll fix the "unable to start wifi" issue.

Upvote 0
I assume you have root, so once you adb push your bcm_supp.conf to /data/wifi/ open a shell on your galaxy (adb shell). then change dir to /data/wifi (cd /data/wifi/) type ls -l to list the permissions of the files in that folder. chances are you lost the ownership of the file when you edited it. The .conf file needs to be owned by "wifi" and group "wifi" "chown wifi.wifi bcm_supp.conf" and if you messed with the permissions you want 660. so "chmod 660 bcm_supp.conf" and that'll fix the "unable to start wifi" issue.
I have the same problem with Galaxy tab released in Japan. I tried to change ownership of bcm_supp.conf. But it failed, since there is no user named 'wifi'. Then I tried to change owner to system. But this does not work. Is there any suggestion?

Upvote 0
Hey sorry for the late reply, i stopped frequenting this forum once i got my phone all tuned up. But the exact syntax you need is: "chown wifi.wifi bcm_supp.conf" the period is required to separate the user and group. in *nix its a colon so that could be a source of the issue "No such user 'wifi:wifi' oh, you also need to define the group. Ie: wifi.wifi is the only way. I believe there are applications that can modifiy the wpa_supplicant.conf but i've had spotty luck with that in the past. Best of luck -Louis

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones