• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HELP: EVO Frustrated - AWAKE TIME

discraleigh

Lurker
Aug 24, 2010
So I have an HTC EVO 4G with all the Sprint Crap that came with it (I hate that stuff). I do really like the phone but I am really frustrated with a few things:
1. Many times I have found my phone not sleeping. Not sure what app is causing this but it sucks the battery dry. I have installed beautiful widgets, Swype and Handcent. None of those seem to be causing problems on any other phones. Is anyone else have this problem???

2. The rebooting issue. I will be driving a long with GPS on and get a call and the phone just reboots.

I have been to sprint and they are no help. Basically - REBOOT with no cause or why the phone is doing what it is doing.. Anyone else having these problems..

I am running stock HTC and now it seems launcher is gone from Froyo.

So I have an HTC EVO 4G with all the Sprint Crap that came with it (I hate that stuff). I do really like the phone but I am really frustrated with a few things:
1. Many times I have found my phone not sleeping. Not sure what app is causing this but it sucks the battery dry. I have installed beautiful widgets, Swype and Handcent. None of those seem to be causing problems on any other phones. Is anyone else have this problem???

2. The rebooting issue. I will be driving a long with GPS on and get a call and the phone just reboots.

I have been to sprint and they are no help. Basically - REBOOT with no cause or why the phone is doing what it is doing.. Anyone else having these problems..

I am running stock HTC and now it seems launcher is gone from Froyo.

Download spare parts from market and check partial wake usage...

Upvote 0
Also, is there anyone out there running Beautiful widgets and not having the awake time = uptime? EVO only... with 2.2

Beautiful widgets is not responsible for your awake time, if that's what you're asking..... but if you're feeling a bit paranoid, you can try Switch Pro, which IMO is a much more elegant toggle package than Beautiful widgets.

Here's SwitchPro at the top of my homescreen (below). You can also give it a translucent or opaque background, which makes it look like the default android toggles. There are also way more than the 6 toggles pictured in this screenie.

screenshot17x.png

Upvote 0
I have both of these exact same problems. I have followed the entire "How to fix Froyo" thread and have done 3 hard resets. That said, my battery life is not horrendous and I don't use GPS that much. As soon as 2.2 is rooted, I'm moving to another ROM.

Also, I have neither Swype or Handcent installed and never have.

Upvote 0
EarlyMon, Great information! I will have to give this a go. As far as you know though it is not an application in from the market like Swype or Handcent? I would love to have these apps back but afraid to install because afraid it will start the awake 100% up again! Thanks again!

I use Handcent - no trouble. However - others mentioned and I confirmed that if you use the LED and change from the default frequency on that with Handcent - it _will_ whack your battery life.

Similar to leaving all of your LED notifications on (Menu-> Settings-> Display-> Notification flash).

Also - never underestimate what a bad download of any app can do to screw with you.

I had something like that at one point and the next thing I knew, my syslog was telling me that wifi was cycling on/off faster than once per second and that it was trying to establish WiMAX, giving up, and re-trying - repeatedly - as fast as it could - with 4G _off_.

ThatNewAndroidGuy and asaberan are examples of rational users who have done everything right yet are still plagued by something undiscovered under the hood. Theirs and perhaps a few like them are why we only claim around 95% success with the methods in the How-to-fix thread (and that's not a royal we - that thread has my name on it, but that's all - the info there is result of a great group effort).

ps - Rangergrrl found that by working with Sprint and reprovisioning her phone she was able to get the right performance where a factory reset alone wasn't enough (page one of the thread) - just putting that out there for whatever reason.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones