1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Help - Failed Root Captivate 2.3.3 I897UCKF1

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by doehmke, Jul 15, 2011.

1. doehmke

doehmke Lurker
    None

Oct 4, 2010
    I failed attempting to

Advertisement

2. davep13

davep13 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 7, 2011
    Texas
    Are you coming from 2.1, 2.2? From your steps, I think you are not flashing the required files like bootloaders, modem, etc.. which is why its failing.

Also, why not just flash another 2.3 ROM w/o AT&T bloatware?

3. doehmke

doehmke Lurker
    None

Oct 4, 2010
    I'm coming from Samsung/AT&T's 2.2. I'm OK going away from their bloatware, but though it would be easier for a first time novice. :) Is there a particular ROM you recommend? Is there a good set of instructions that tell how to do the required files like bootloaders, modem, etc? Thx for your help!

4. davep13

None

Apr 7, 2011
    Texas
  5. doehmke

doehmke Lurker
    None

Oct 4, 2010
    Dave - I tried to get to stock GB at the link you shared, but it didn't work twice. I found this link to get back to stock Eclair and was able to do a factory reset. [How-To] Backup and Factory Restore Samsung Captivate - Android Forums. It was just like out-of-the-box at AT&T when new. Then I tried to go stock GB and it failed twice more and put me back to semi-bricked. Not sure if it has something to do with the build of my phone or not --- that made a difference for getting back to Eclair. Or it may be I just need to try flahsing GB a few times until it works. The stock eClair worked first time, but after failing to flash to GB the Eclair took twice to pass. Anyhow, thanks for your help!

6. davep13

None

Apr 7, 2011
    Texas
    No prob man and I don't know what else to tell you because I followed the directions on the XDA thread exactly and I was able to flash it without a problem from stock Eclair. Just make sure you have all the drivers installed and if you're on Win7 try running Odin as admin.

doehmke likes this.
  7. WuSoLo

WuSoLo Newbie
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    i think u using the wrong pit file & Odin version from flashing to 2.3.3 ... the new pit & Odin 1.81 should be packed inside the KF1 file.

8. doehmke

doehmke Lurker
    None

Oct 4, 2010
    Dave - I got it. After a few more tries, I got to thinking about why the stock eclair instructions for my build 1010 specified a different order than the stock gb. Since the eclair flash steps specified for my build or later and that worked, I "modified" the steps for gb flash to connect the phone to USB after getting Odin set with all the files. It worked right away and rebooted. Now I'm configuring the phone in GB and will then go back into to load the kernel for changing orientation. Will play with this for awhile, then maybe load Mosaic. Thanks for the help!

9. davep13

None

Apr 7, 2011
    Texas
    You're welcome, glad I could help. :D

10. doehmke

doehmke Lurker
    None

Oct 4, 2010
    Dave - did your home button work w/GB? Mine gives a change in lighting showing I pushed it, but it doesn't "go home." Have to use the back up button, screen by screen to get home. Think I'll just flash to Mosaic and check that out.

11. davep13

None

Apr 7, 2011
    Texas
    I never really used stock GB so I can't really say. Once I did have stock GB, I just went thru the setup process because I read that not doing the setup could affect wifi and then flashed Mosaic V and I havent had any probs with it.

12. doehmke

doehmke Lurker
    None

Oct 4, 2010
    It looks like the home key issue is a known bug and Mosaic's change log includes a fix. So I'm about to do the flash to Mosaic. The steps were confusing at first, but I went into the recovery mode of stock Gingerbread and saw commands for most of the steps. So it seems pretty intuitive. Will let you know how I fair.

13. doehmke

doehmke Lurker
    None

Oct 4, 2010
    OK, I got mosaic installed. Easy, just like the direction on the link said. It works really well so far. Not real excited about the skin's color scheme, but maybe that can be changed. Look forward to trying it out. Thanks again for the help.