• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help finding the calendar app "show event date range" setting??

scudder

Android Expert
May 21, 2010
State of Confusion (FL too)
Hello...

I'm going to ask a SHORTENED version of my question FIRST because, as I was typing out my thorough explanation below, I realized that I had SEEN A SETTING that I believe fixes my problem but I CANNOT REMEMBER where it is or how to get to it!!!

In short, the problem I am having is that NON-recurring events (one time appointment) that are in the Google Calendar online are NOT SHOWING in the Moment calendar app.

There was a SETTINGS PAGE...not sure if it was in the main OS menu or the Calendar menu...that gave you the option of choosing to show events "BEFORE" a certain date and to show events "AFTER" a certain date. You repeatedly tap the two "before" or "after" options and the dates would move further back in time and further forward in time respectively creating a date range. NON-recurring events, obviously, continue to show for years prior or in the future but NON-recurring ONE-time events outside of a "range" of a time period do NOT SHOW. Does ANYONE know what the setting I am referring to and how to get back to it??

If NOT, perhaps my more thorough explanation of my problem and what i am trying to accomplish below might help me find the display before this date/after this date setting that I cannot find again!!

THANK YOU!!

(longer explanation/description follows below)

Scott

-----------------------------

We have a Moment and an EVO and we are BOTH new to Android...but it appears I am ONLY having the problem with our Moment.

Though we are new to Android and the gmail sync, I am very comfortable with the sync process and working with Google Calendar online or on the phone and the settings for forcing a sync, choosing which calendars to display, etc.

I did some troubleshooting of the problem and THIS is what I have figured out...WEIRD!!!...here goes:

It appears that the calendar on the Moment is ONLY showing RECURRING EVENTS...birthdays, anniversaries...ANYTHING where the event is set to recur some time in the future.

The non-recurring events...a random party, a random doctor's appointment does NOT show on the Moment Calendar app!!

I prefaced my issue with being comfortable and familiar with the Google calendar operation because I am CERTAIN that the events are in the Google Calendar online. If I change the one-time event to a yearly recurring event and force the phone to sync then WHAM BAM the now RECURRING event shows in the Moment calendar app. REMOVE the recurrence and go back to the one-time doctor appointment, sync, and WHOOSH, disappears again!!

The other odd thing is that "old" NON-recurring events that have ALREADY PASSED do seem to continue to show on the Moment calendar app for about a month. In other words, stuff back to about a month from today (today 7/20) DOES SHOW even if non-recurring but anything older than a month does NOT show.

Now I can UNDERSTAND why if you had a doctor's appointment on May 20, 2010, that that even should NOT appear on EITHER your Google Calendar online OR your Moment calendar app for May 20, **2011** because that doesn't make sense. HOWEVER, it DOES make sense and IS IMPORTANT to be able to go back to May 2010 and ask, "what day was that appointment with so-and-so company??" and you scroll back in your calendar to see the name of the company or "In February, 2010, did our son or daughter see the doctor?? and you scroll back a few months to see that your son and not your daughter went.

The Google Calendar online does NOT automatically purge older events...they are ALL VISIBLE online back YEARS AND YEARS. Why is the Moment "purging"/not displaying non-recurring events on the phone that are in a range of about 1 month old to about to happen in a month?? Is anyone else having this problem??

THANK YOU!

Scott

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones