1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Help! Firmware update on a Mac/random reboots

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by vaselinequeen, Aug 12, 2011.

1. vaselinequeen

vaselinequeen Lurker
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    Hi guys, would appreciate some help on this, have already asked for help and the answers were useful, but would involving rooting my phone which I don't want to do.

I have a Mac and I need to update the firmware on my phone, I am on KE3 just now. I can't seem to do this through Kies, and I tried it on my mum's PC and Kies kept not responding so couldn't do there either...

I have been having problems with my SG2 randomly rebooting itself, I thought the problem was a cover I had on it, maybe overheating it, taking it off worked for a few days but then when I unplugged it from my charger earlier it did the same thing.

A previous poster advised that a firmware update may solve this, have spoken to my provider T-mobile who advised to take into a store but they advised it can take up to 7-21 WORKING days for the phone to be returned! Seeing as the phone is only 2-3 weeks old I feel this is a bit out of order.

Anyway, any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Advertisement

2. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

well u could use ur mom's PC and use Odin instead of Kies.. as mentioned in this guide.. most people use Odin instead, its much better than Kies.. i also believe there's a software mentioned there for mac too.. i'd recommend flashing OXA KG5 firmware listed on that guide.. its the newest official firmware, and it will be recognized by kies if u later decided to go back to kies :) hope this helps

EDIT: this guide does not involve rooting, if u follow the first part of the guide only (flashing via Odin). it wont make u lose any data or settings, ur phone will be just the same as it was. although im not sure if updating will fix ur rebooting problem

vaselinequeen likes this.
  3. vaselinequeen

vaselinequeen Lurker
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    Hi Hesanj, thanks for this. sorry for being an idiot, what does 'flashing' mean? I'll try to follow the guide as someone inept at anything related to technology :)