• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help Flashing Roms

I have an LG Ally running Velocity V1.1, rooted with Gingerbreak. I am still rather new to all of this so I pose this question;
I have a lot of trouble flashings roms, I flashed Velocity V1.0, 0.2, and 0.3 and each time I get stuck in bootloop, after a lot of trial and error I managed to get V1.1 on my phone, and while I really enjoy it I really would like to experiance the newest build but I know I will possibly will run into a lot of trouble. I also recently read a thread on here talking about the same thing and it turned into how the OP managed to get VelocityV1.0 on his phone running android 2.2.2, as I am, and I wonder if this is my problem. If so is there a way to downgrade to 2.2.1? Or should I just stay with Velocity V1.1?

I lurk this thread all of the time so I know the people posting know what they're talking about, you guys managed to get me this far so I thank you for that and thank you in advance for this.

If I understand correctly you are attempting to flash velocity 0.2, 0.3, and 0.4... if that is the case it will moet def fail for the fact that it is built off of eclair and you cant go from 2.2 to 2.1, its impossible. Currently availiable froyo roms are velocity 1.0 velocity 1.1 or frunisher 1.0. When you download be sure to do it over a wifi connection for the security of the data because you my have broken downloads.

Upvote 0
Like, seriously, every time I try to flash ANYTHING I follow the steps to a "T", clearing the data, cache, davilik cache etc. either manually or through ROM manager and always bootloop. The only Rom I've gotten to flash is V1.1, its very frustrating.

You flashed .2 and .3 velocity and that could very well be where your problem is. Those are not compatible with 2.2.1 or 2.2.2 of Android. What do you mean by manually flashed? Velocity 1.1 Rom should be flashed from recovery. Best thing to do is make a backup of your programs, make a nandroid from recovery (just in case) then do a factory reset (wipes everything) and reboot. After that then wipe data, cache, dalvik etc... and to be safe reboot, then go into recovery wipe everything again and flash velocity1.1 from the recovery. The reason I say to do it this way (basically wiping everything 3 times) is that, in my experience on the Ally, that sometimes during a wipe everything isn't always wiped some things tend to stick causing problems. After you have flashed velocity and before you start to restore programs with a program like Titanium Backup, make another nandroid of your "clean" install. Also go into velocity toolkit run terminal emulator, and type velocity you may have to do this a few times but get the scripts to update which will get rid of some compatibility issues and the dreaded update notification. Also if you restore things from Titanium just restore the programs no data and definitely no system files or data. If you do it can mess with the system. After you check your programs to be sure they all function, then you can do another nandroid deleting the earlier one right after installing velocity, also in Titanium delete all backups (everything) then re-backup everything, after that you should be good to go. Just remember though to read up on any ROM you plan to install and make sure it's 2.2 based otherwise you're looking for trouble, Right now Velocity1.0 and 1.1 are the ones I know are out there Stormdroid is coming hopefully soon and Velocity1.2 is in the works, also coming soon. Have fun

Upvote 0
By "Manually Flashed" I meant I booted into recovery, cleared everything myself and then flashed as opposed to using Rom manager install from SD card.
Like I said I have 1.1 running fine on my phone, I'm just still new to all of this stuff and thought I was using an older rom (I'd hate to miss out on something haha) Sometimes it helps to actually read the release notes and the date stamps!!! haha
Thanks guys!

Also the Original Post was about how I couldn't get .2 .3 to work on my phone, It always bootlooped and I had to restore it.

Upvote 0
I'm also having trouble with Rom Manager. When I try to boot into recovery (either Clockwork or Amon RA) I have to flash it a million times to get it to work. I will either go into fastboot or get stuck at the LG screen and have to pull my battery to reboot.
Also I am using the premium edition of Rom Manager and I can't seem to access any of the premium Roms =S

Upvote 0
I'm also having trouble with Rom Manager. When I try to boot into recovery (either Clockwork or Amon RA) I have to flash it a million times to get it to work. I will either go into fastboot or get stuck at the LG screen and have to pull my battery to reboot.
Also I am using the premium edition of Rom Manager and I can't seem to access any of the premium Roms =S

Most will tell you that once you get recovery to stick (the alternate Amon-ra one) then delete Rom Manager. Anytime you use Rom Manager you usually have to flash recovery 3 to 4 times before it finally sticks. I keep the free version only because it is easy to wipe the download cache from it. I had to flash my recovery 3 times before it finally stuck. I've never heard of any premium Roms available through it. Velocity 1.1 in my opinion is the best out there right now, just be sure to update the scripts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones