1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help, followed Leslie's guide

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zmauls, Dec 18, 2012.

1. zmauls

zmauls Newbie

I wrote Leslie this email in response to her guide I am anticipating a response but could use help now.

Everything guide HTC Evo 4g

Hello! Thanks for the guide, I greatly appreciated the detail and precision it offers. I am new to Android (and smartphones in general), but I know my way around a computer. I followed your guide to a tee, successfully rooting my device as well as successfully gaining S-off. As far as I know, I did everything properly. When the bootloader is run, it does indeed say S-off, unlocked, etc. My problem is this. I successfully flashed all the ROMs you cited for download in your guide, and I am currently running Harmonia. However, after only a few minutes of sending mass texts (for the first time without problems, might I add), I got a pop-up of the dreaded "Radio Resource" error. It seemed that after the I closed the pop-up, the messages which it was referring to sent almost immediately. I'm wondering if I may have done something wrong? Despite loading all the ROMs (and even when I completed S-off), all of my phones stuff (pictures, apps, etc) were not gone. This makes me think I made an error along the way. Help!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lEquin0xl

lEquin0xl Android Enthusiast

If you get that message after the tweaks then you must really have no signal where you are sending texts from, I know that when I'm in a basement and send a text I get the error. Also pictures and whatnot are saved to the sd card. If you are still in doubt that you flashed correctly then go into your phones setting then hit About Phone and read what the phones says it is running, or just post a pic.

3. zmauls

zmauls Newbie

It is indeed running Harmonia. That is actually physically obvious between the new keyboard and battery icon. I actually did not complete the final step (prl) because the downloaded file is a .rar, though a friend told me to use 7zip. Should I go ahead and complete that final step?

Tried to do that and QPRS or w/e won't read my phone.

4. lEquin0xl

lEquin0xl Android Enthusiast

There we go. You have to flash the prl :p. What you do is first complete the QPST things you have to do then flash the prl zip file. You put the file in the root of your sdcard where it has the pictures folder and videos and whatnot then boot into the bootloader and it will flash. But don't do that until you do all the QPST steps, I had trouble with it finding my phone too but I honestly forgot what I did.

5. adamhos1234

adamhos1234 Android Expert

You do not flash the prl zip
    You need to write the file on your phone using qpst
    All prl does is tell your phone what towers to talk with
    According to Leslie Ann it is really not needed
    The radio flash is what will 'boost' your signal
    I have changed my prl and did not notice a difference
    Honestly, virgin/sprint network just flat out sucks, that's why we're only paying $35 a month
    Suck it up and
    Get use to the shitty service or go pay $100 a month with Verizon

6. mrawesome22

mrawesome22 Android Enthusiast

The radio error is caused by the old radio in that thread.

Flash the 1.09 radio that came out about a month ago, and the interference error will stop.

7. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

As previously posted, prl changes are definitely the least improvement, if any, for the most effort.

8. zmauls

zmauls Newbie

I used a different radio, not the one from the thread. I flashed over Gingerbread radio xxx.808 and am no longer having any problems whatsoever. Thanks all.

9. Leslie Ann

Leslie Ann Android Expert

You do NOT need the PRL and the radio listed in the thread is still one of the best for the phone. You do not need the newest one.

As for why this didn't work,
    The process works, it's well proven to work. If it doesn't, either the radio was not actually flashed, or there was a local tower issue.

And Overbyter is correct, of all of it, the PRL does the least (almost nothing for some people) and I keep considering just removing it.