• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help for someone coming from Touchwiz

freagul

Mar 2, 2011
So I just got the Moto X a couple days ago and I love it so far. However, given that it's basically stock android, there's a few things missing that I'd grown used to from Touchwiz on my Galaxy S3 and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good replacement for these features.

• The battery indicator on the status bar doesn't have a percentage. On my S3, that was just a checkbox option in the battery settings, but I guess with stock you have to get a separate app for that? Is there a recommended one?
  • Is there any way to add blank homescreens or to change which home screen is the main one? On my S3, I could just set it to a certain number of screens, regardless of whether they had anything on them, and the middle one was the main one.
  • Is there anyway to get the app drawer and the home screens to wrap, so I don't have to flick through several screens to get from the first to the last?
  • Can anyone recommend a calendar app that has a widget with a full month view that actually shows the appointments on the days? I've seen a number that have a full month widget, but they just have little dots for the appointments, and I'd like to be able to see what I actually have going on on any given day without having to go into the day view.
  • On my S3, if I had notifications in an app, like unread text messages or notifications/friend requests in Facebook, there'd be a little red number counter on the app icon letting me know. Is there a way to enable that, or is that not an available feature?
  • Speaking of Facebook, is there a way to get my contacts to sync? On my S3, I had my Facebook contacts merged with my phone contacts so that if I had a Facebook friend with their number listed, I'd have that number automatically in my phone, and I'd have the Facebook profile photo as the contact photo for any available contacts.

I am guessing that all of these things are going to have to be solved with third party apps and launchers, but if I can do it with a setting somewhere, that would be ideal, as I'd like to avoid having to rely too heavily on a patchwork of third-parties. But if someone can recommend apps/launchers that take care of these things, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

The first 3 and the icon badges (red circle with the number) were all features of TouchWiz and are not available on the Moto X unless you install a 3rd-party launcher. The 3rd-party launcher may or may not give you the battery percentage so you may need another app for that.

You'll need a calendar app to get you a widget like you want, I believe that was part of the calendar app in TouchWiz.

The contacts merge was also part of the Contacts app in TouchWiz, you may need to find a 3rd-party app for that as well.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0
The battery indicator on the status bar doesn't have a percentage. On my S3, that was just a checkbox option in the battery settings, but I guess with stock you have to get a separate app for that? Is there a recommended one?

I like GSam Battery Monitor for this - there is an option (preferences / show notification icon)

Is there any way to add blank homescreens or to change which home screen is the main one? On my S3, I could just set it to a certain number of screens, regardless of whether they had anything on them, and the middle one was the main one.

Is there anyway to get the app drawer and the home screens to wrap, so I don't have to flick through several screens to get from the first to the last?

There is no ways with the stock Google Now Launcher. Nova Launcher is good for both of these.

On my S3, if I had notifications in an app, like unread text messages or notifications/friend requests in Facebook, there'd be a little red number counter on the app icon letting me know. Is there a way to enable that, or is that not an available feature?

Again, Nova Launcher with the optional TeslaUnread plug in for badging icons.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones