• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help help guys

gie62001

Android Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2009
UK
hi to all happy galaxy owners and not only them,lol
yesterday i played with my galaxy all day and most of the night but just can't find a place on the phone where i could put WAP or WEB settings from 02 UK so i could be able 2use android market and stuff.been trying everything even called o2 customer service and they said they dont have exact settings but have something similar said they did it for me and just restart my phone but nothing happend. then tried to go different way and install apps from PC (windows 7 and XP) using USB cable searched loads of forums downloaded SDK and managed to install SAMSUNG GALAXY Composite ADB Interface drivers but cant make ADB command recognize my galaxy when i type "adb devices" it says "daemon not running.it starts now" and "daemon started succecsfully" "adb devices list of devices attached" and theres nothing there.and the thing is that i dont have wireless routher so cant get wifi either but thinking of going to town maybe there ill catch some wifi so could download app managare from market.but wat is really a pitty that never seen a device not being able to put WAP,WEB settings manually,even Iphone can do it...thanx for whatever help i get :)

About your O2 settings..

go to settings ->wireless controls ->Mobile networks -> access point names.

Press the menu key (the top left physical key on the phone, with th arrow pointing up), and click new apn.

Name: O2 Internet

APN: mobile.o2.co.uk
[Or if you don't have web enabled you'll have to use WAP:
Access point (contract): [FONT=Verdana, Arial]wap.o2.co.uk[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]
Access point (PAYG):
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]payandgo.o2.co.uk][/FONT]

Proxy: <not set>
Port: <not set>
Username: mobileweb
Password: password
Server: <not set>
MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
MMS Proxy: 193.113.200.19
MMS Port: 8080 or 9201 (try both)
MMC: leave as it is
MNC: leave as it is
APN Type: Internet + mms
Autherntication type: None

For adb... Open device manager, and then unplug you're phone and plug it back in. Check you have no unknown devices. (Make sure you have USB debugging on in your phone too).

Then do:
adb shell
or
adb devices

It will start the daemon, and maybe find nothing. Now unplug and replug your phone and run it again, it should see it.

Upvote 0
damn kam you're amazing just wonder where you get all this knowledge (maybe download from some webpage,lol) seriously i can't thank you enough for so much help. by the way after APN settings put on the phone and now G or E showing when browsing it really started using more battery but not dramatically,lol. thanx again. by the way do you think its battery issue of firmware?now will install HTC keyboard to see how much better it is :)

Upvote 0
If I have "Enlabe GPS satellites" thing switched on in "Sec&loc"-settings, does it automatically drain my battery, or do I need to use an app that uses GPS?

Today at work I noticed after 7h, that I had it switched on and my batterylife dived from 100% to 60% in under 8h with average usage but no autosync. I hope that that was the reason because otherwise that kind of drop would be a bit unreasonalbe even for me :(

I also removed all the clock-widgets (they're nice but bit useless, since there is the little digital-clock) and now I have only shortcuts to apps in my three desktops.

Upvote 0
If you enable GPS its suposed to only wake up when some app asks for a location. But it sucks power while its looking for satelites, and people are saying there is some bug in android that stops it disengaging the GPS so it stays on!

You should turn on 'use mobile network for location' which will use the cell tower you are on to get your location, using no extra power. Its not as acurate as GPS, but for things like weather widget etc its plenty acurate.

Then turn on GPS when you need an acurate fix, like for navigation.

Also turn off background data if you don't have anything you want to update in the background.

The best combination i've found is to turn off GPS, autosync, background data, and leave mobile network location ON.

Then I manually sync to google. OR turn on autosync and/or background data when i need it - say for part of the day, or when expecting an important email.

Upvote 0
PS.. I look at the battery life this way...

If HTC thin the 1350 mAh battery in the Hero, which has a TFT screen (uses more power), and no proximity sensor (turns off display when it notices you have the phone near your ear), is good enough for people, then the samsung's 1500 mAh batter with AMOLED screen and proximity sensor should last lonnnng.

I put the bad battery situation at the moment down to android syncing and the bad firmware which causes reboots.

People are also saying the new firmware has better battery life, but the reboots are anoying. Its rumoured new firmware should be out this week when its released in the UK.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones