• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HELP - hBoot access only - wiped recovery

calusfinger

Lurker
May 20, 2011
Hi,

I'm sure that this might be posted somewhere, but I searched for a while so here is it is:

When I boot up it gets stuck on HTC logo. This is because I screwed up flashing a new rom...long story short:
- I wiped the SD card (format trying to partition), and I think I wiped all phone and cache data

However I can boot into HBOOT, but don't know what to do here, because (obviously) now I have nothing on my SD and can't get into clockworkmod recovery anymore.

SO I guess I have to re-flash recovery - but I don't know how to do this just from hboot

My phone is rooted and has a goldcard
PHONE DETAILS (from HBOOT screen):

HTC DESIRE BRAVO PVT1 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.80.0000
MICROP-031d
TOUCH PANEL-SYNT0101
RADIO-5.11.05.27
Mar 29 2010,21:34:33

Please let me know if there is already a post with this problem.

Thanks in advance!

1) Ok - cool - didn't know rom manager was bad - but I shall quit it

2) It goes to white screen with HTC logo and then the black screen with phone image in middle with red triangle and '!'.

If I click 'up vol' and power button it opens android system recovery <2e> (black screen with blue writing) - but I cannot apply sdcard:update.zip because I'm pretty sure that I (stupidly) wiped it...I know ... NOOB!

I have been trying to run one of the RUU from
[ROM] Official HTC Desire RUU ROMS and OTA Update URLs - xda-developers

but that doesn't work - says an error at the end.. i might run again and see what the problem is - and post back

THanks by the way!

Upvote 0
Right. Ok. You rooted with the old method. PRE unrevoked.

You dont need to use an RUU

Here is my suggestion but be aware all data is lost. You will need a way to ready your card (card reader, another phone)

Find a rom and download it (I recommend a basic rooted froyo 2.2 with sense such as teppic74's)

Go to the useful downloads link in my signature.

Download the clockworkmod recovery for rom manager.

Put the rom and update.zip on the sd card.

Boot into recovery from hboot (and then the vol up + power) - you should now be at the Fake flash Clockworkmod recovery (the fake one rom manager uses).

Flash the rom. Go through the initial set up of the rom.

Now you need to ensure you have clockworkmod flashed on your phone so this can never happen again.

You have 2 choices.

1) Re root the phone using unrevoked (guide in my sig, dont worry about essential information. We know what that is you can use unrevoked 3.21)

Once rooted, manage applications>super user> Clear data

2) S-OFF using alpharev AlphaRev 1.8 - its dead easy. Burn the iso to make a bootable cd, boot the pc from CD and follow instructions

Then you need to download android flasher (see the download thread again) and flash clockworkmod recovery. You need the 2.5.0.7 from the downloads thread

Then you have a rooted rom with a proper custom recovery and start again with whatever you want.

Use GPARTED to partition your SD card. ...and always back it up ;)

Upvote 0
Hey man !!!

Cheers - you rock.

Actually I managed to find a microSD card reader in the house!

Will do as you outlined... not worried about losing data as I backed up everything onto my computer before I did all of this...which makes me think that I could probably just copy the update.zip file back onto my sd card and all should be fine... hmmm

Anyway - thanks again man - really appreciate it.
There is so many ways to do all this (on the web) and it is nice to have someone actually recommend a proper custom job for me!

Upvote 0
Yeah totally man - will definately do all the proper root methods now.
I guess I rooted a while ago, and really didn't know what I was doing then, and things are much better and easier now (ie unREvoked).
Actually that sdcard reader wasn't working, and it is too late to go buy one here, so I ended up finding the right RUU - am doing that and then will root it all again tomorrow morning.

by the way - will my sdcard stay a goldcard always - ie - i shouldn't have to do it again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones