1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Help, how do I keep program I don't use out of memory

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by SarahMN, Sep 22, 2010.

1. SarahMN

SarahMN Lurker
    None

Sep 22, 2010
    I used advance task killer and check frequently to see which programs are running in the background, frequently there are a number of programs I never use running in the background. How do I keep these programs from loading?

Advertisement

2. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    You don't really.

The OS is designed to handle all of that for you. Some of those apps are updating or pulling data, others are apart of the OS running and others are sitting there waiting to be opened. The OS will shut down those apps when it need more ram. Using an app like ATK is only going to burn down your battery as you turn the phone on to check and see what is running, then kill the apps that are running and they start up again on their own anyway. My advice is to uninstall ATK and let the OS do its job. This will also cure your ATK OCD. ;)

3. SarahMN

SarahMN Lurker
    None

Sep 22, 2010
    I uninstalled ATK, and today my phone ran through the battery in 8 hours. Coincidence? I want to uninstall MediaHub and Amazon Mp3 extra, can I do this?

4. w_bovine

w_bovine Android Expert
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    There are certain apps, installed by the carrier, that can't be removed without rooting the phone. You just named two of them.

As far as battery life goes, turn off Wifi, Bluetooth and perhaps GPS when you're not using them. I say perhaps for GPS because some say it doesn't use much power at all when an app isn't using it.

Consider screen brightness/timeout as well, and keep these things to an acceptable minimum for general use.

5. SarahMN

SarahMN Lurker
    None

Sep 22, 2010
    Does anyone use Tasker to save battery life? What Profile have your developed?

6. cp1

cp1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    What exactly are MediaHub and Amazon Mp3 doing that you don't want them to do? Which program would you like to occupy the memory that they are using?