• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help - how to image/clone current state?

InGearX

Android Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2011
Hi is there anyway to take an "image" or "clone" of your current devices state (OS/memory/etc...)

to be able to restore to it later in case you need to?

(like Acronis True Image (you can image or clone a hard drive) and then restore it to that moment at will)

is there anything like it for Droids?

we need it in case we mess something up - with some install or etc... or I partucularly need it to be able to get it back up and running when reinstalling the OS when abroad - see as per images I can't use it unless I activate it - but it fails if I'm not in USA - more info here - http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-3/390002-help-activation-abroad.html any ideas?

Thank you...

Attachments

• DSC00568 (Small).JPG
    DSC00568 (Small).JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC00569 (Small).JPG
    DSC00569 (Small).JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC00571 (Small).JPG
    DSC00571 (Small).JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC00572 (Small).JPG
    DSC00572 (Small).JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC00573 (Small).JPG
    DSC00573 (Small).JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC00574 (Small).JPG
    DSC00574 (Small).JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC00575 (Small).JPG
    DSC00575 (Small).JPG
    39 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC00576 (Small).JPG
    DSC00576 (Small).JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 40
Yes, you can make an image of the system, but only if you are rooted. It's called a nandroid. I'm puzzled by the reference to reinstalling the OS because that also requires root, and if you were rooted you would probably already be familiar with nandroids. Maybe you just mean you want to change SIM cards?
ohhhh sorry what I meant is that when I do a "factory data reset" or let's say something goes wrong (after installing some application... or etc...) or so... that would bring me back to that original screen

so what would you advise? what would be a good way to prepare and to have a plan in case this does happen and I'm abroad...

as I will not be able to activate my phone from abroad :(
maybe at that point I will be able to ROOT it?

or maybe there is some procedure or application ... that I can use now to prepare?

thank you so much!

Upvote 0
A factory reset or installing new apps shouldn't alter your OS at all, so it sounds like maybe you just need a way to back up your apps and data to your SD card. Titanium Backup is great for that, but it's root-only. I have heard good things about MyBackup though. If you just want to back apps and databases up one at a time, I think the free file manager Astro will do that. Maybe other people will have additional suggestions.

It's a good idea to copy your backups to someplace safe, in case something happens to your card. If you're going abroad, perhaps something like Dropbox would be helpful in case you need to access the backups of your backups.;)

Upvote 0
A factory reset or installing new apps shouldn't alter your OS at all, so it sounds like maybe you just need a way to back up your apps and data to your SD card. Titanium Backup is great for that, but it's root-only. I have heard good things about MyBackup though. If you just want to back apps and databases up one at a time, I think the free file manager Astro will do that. Maybe other people will have additional suggestions.

It's a good idea to copy your backups to someplace safe, in case something happens to your card. If you're going abroad, perhaps something like Dropbox would be helpful in case you need to access the backups of your backups.;)
thank you

but how will I get MyBackup up and running if i can not active my phone it the first place

what's happening is that it's going to try to dial *228 and it will not work

it will fail at activating the phone and the OS - so so sad :(

Upvote 0
what's happening is that it's going to try to dial *228 and it will not work

it will fail at activating the phone and the OS - so so sad :(

You mean your phone is activated by calling that number?
I think we all thought u mean activation as in logging in Google account before you can use your phone because some Android phones used to do that, otherwise, you can't use it.

If so, sounds like your best option is to install a custom ROM that removes the activation but you may void your warranty.... (Nandroid requires you to install custom recovery, which is half-way from installing a custom ROM already...)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones