• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help, how to make a tune into a ringtone??

stevem

Lurker
Oct 4, 2009
had the phone for a few days and i have downloaded some tunes into the music application on the phone and i see you can save the tune as a ringtone and also trim it which is all good, however, after i have saved the tune as a ringtone, when the phone is switched off and back on again , the choosen ringtone has gone and the "save tune" i had within ringtones has also gone.

i have tried contacting HTC and they are talking about something about route of the SD card and making folders which i have not got a clue about whaty they are talking about and they dont seem to give clear instructions in how to transfer a song from your pc to the phone and then make it into a ring tone, so i hope something can help me.

thanks

had the phone for a few days and i have downloaded some tunes into the music application on the phone and i see you can save the tune as a ringtone and also trim it which is all good, however, after i have saved the tune as a ringtone, when the phone is switched off and back on again , the choosen ringtone has gone and the "save tune" i had within ringtones has also gone.

i have tried contacting HTC and they are talking about something about route of the SD card and making folders which i have not got a clue about whaty they are talking about and they dont seem to give clear instructions in how to transfer a song from your pc to the phone and then make it into a ring tone, so i hope something can help me.

thanks

Create the following folders on your sdcard :

/sdcard/alarms
/sdcard/notifications
/sdcard/ringtones

Upvote 0
Here's the step by step guide

• Connect the Hero to your computer via the USB cable
  • Open the Notifications screen on your Hero (pull down a finger from the top of the screen to the bottom) and select the USB Storage notification
  • Choose "Mount"
  • Browse to the SD Card on your PC
  • Look for a folder called media, if it's not there, create it by right clicking and choosing New Folder, then rename the folder to be media
  • Inside the media folder, you need a folder called audio, again, if it's not there create it as above
  • Inside the audio folder, you can create a subfolder for the sound category you want to change-
    • ringtones - for sound files you want to use as ringtones
    • alarms - for sound files you want to use for any alarms
    • notifications - for incoming notifications such as SMS alerts, emails, etc
  • Copy your sound file in to the relevant folder
  • You should now see your sound file listed in the menu for selection in the relevant sound settings menu (to access the ringtone/notification settings, press the hard Menu key from one of your home screens, then press Settings then Sounds and Display)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones