1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Help! HTC One Max stuck on a boot loop

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Isaac 61616, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Isaac 61616

Isaac 61616 Lurker
    None

Sep 11, 2017
    Hi, my phone keeps restarting every minute and a half, I tried a factory reset from the options in the settings menu but it just restarts with all the data intact, even when I disinstall apps one by one, after it restarts they're all back, I also did it from the boot menu the one you get from holding volume down and power buttons and yes I've also tried the recovery menu option with no results. Another interesting symptom is that whe its booted up and I hold the power button to turn it off I never get the window with the option to power off, I have to wait until reboots and quickly do button combo to turn it off from the fast boot options. Any insite on the problem is apreciated.

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Is it stable in recovery mode, or does it reboot there as well? If it reboots there then I'm sure it's hardware that's the problem. Actually if a reset from recovery won't clear the phone there's something serious wrong anyway.

Were there any symptoms before this began? Or did anything change (though an update is very unlikely in a phone this old)?

If it's stable in the hboot or fastboot menu you could consider reflashing it (if we can find the right RUU for this phone). We'd need software version and customer id (region & carrier/unlocked). But if a phone is unstable trying to reflash is a serious risk itself.

Isaac 61616 likes this.
  3. Isaac 61616

Isaac 61616 Lurker
    None

Sep 11, 2017
    The phone doesn't reboot by itself on any of the boot menus.

I got this phone off a trade from some dude on Facebook, he said a friend of his tried to root it and gave it back to him like that

Original Carrier: Verizon (Currently unlocked )

Android Version: 4.4.2

HTC Sense Version: 6.0

Software number: 3.09.605.7

A little more info; The phone doesn't reboot by its self on any of the boot menus although I get a red triangle with an exclamation mark when I try to go into the recovery option from the hboot menu but I can access it from there by holding volume up and taping power, this takes me to the recovery menu where I can wipe data/ factory reset but when selected it goes through all the commands in yellow letter and it reads "data wiped" I also wiped the cache partition and proceeded to reboot the system and when it did I still have all the old data is still there.
    Thanks for the reply, hope to hear back from you.

4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    The red triangle stuff is normal: that just means it has the stock recovery (which means whoever tried to root it didn't get very far!). I don't suppose by any chance the hboot screen says "unlocked" or "S-Off"? Either of those would give us more options.

Assuming not (and Verizon are hostile to bootloader unlocking, so I would expect it to be locked/S-On) then if it's stable in recovery/hboot then it's probably "just" that the attempt at rooting damaged the ROM (Android system/collection of system apps). That's good because if we can find a suitable RUU (ROM Upgrade Utility) we should be able to use that to fix it.

The bad is "Verizon". It's really easy to find RUUs for this device on other US carriers, but Verizon... I did find a Verizon HTC One Max support page here which includes a description of what they call a "software repair assistant" in its "troubleshooting" section. I don't know precisely what this is, but if it can (as claimed) help with a device that isn't fully functional, can't boot up fully or is running unapproved or faulty software then that ought to mean it's a tool for running a full software reflash (which we want) rather than a patch update (which is what a regular over the air update - and wouldn't be a good idea if the software might be damaged). So that might be worth trying. My guess is that it will download the RUU that we're trying to find and run it. If it will just do the download we can work out the rest if necessary.

If that doesn't work then we can try looking again for an RUU, or else you could see whether any of the S-Off methods will work on this device in this state (the old rumrunner one is free, the newer tool is not). But looking for a working stock software flash sounds the simplest solution if one can be found.

Isaac 61616 likes this.
  5. Isaac 61616

Isaac 61616 Lurker
    None

Sep 11, 2017
    Uunfortunately, it does say "S-on" and "Locked". I will look into the tool and continue to look for the software if by any chance you run in to one let me know and thaks for all your help.