1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support HELP!!! I accidentally charged my DROID RAZR MAXX with a different charger!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DeadThrone, Mar 3, 2012.

1. DeadThrone

DeadThrone Newbie
    None

Mar 3, 2012
    Ahhh, why do all smartphone chargers look exactly the same? Why can't they be different? I always have chargers stacked together and just yesterday and even this morning I chose the wrong charger... but it fit in my razr Maxx.

Now what I want to know is.. is this bad for my Maxx battery because as you all may know, the Maxx carries a huge battery. Does this battery need a SPECIFIC charger? or can you just use any smartphone charger..

Also, my dad has a Droid Razr the original one, and he's been using my Maxx charger.. is that okay? PLEASE HELP! I love my Maxx and I don't want it to die!! I'm so mad at these chargers.. Make different ones!! Not ones that look exactly alike!!

Advertisement

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Welcome to Android Forums, DeadThrone. I placed your question/thread here in the RAZR MaXX forum for you. :)

I doubt if any harm will come to your device as long as the jacks fit with no forcing. You'd be surprised how many charging/USB cable units can be inter-changed.

It's best to play it safe by using the one that came with the phone, of course. ;)

3. Kicksilver

Kicksilver Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 28, 2011
    It'll just take longer to recharge.

Sharondippity likes this.
  4. socarwolverine

socarwolverine Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    Nothing to worry about, I've done this with all my phones and have never had a problem. As long as it's microusb you're fine. Quit stressing over nothing.

5. DeadThrone

DeadThrone Newbie
    None

Mar 3, 2012

Well, it didn't fit as nicely as it did with my Maxx charger, but it fit. I wouldn't say I "forced" it in but it didn't fit as "loosely" as it would with my Maxx Charger. But then again, it all depends on how you plug it in. Sometimes when I plug it in from a different angle, it's harder to plug in. Other times I plug it in perfectly with no problems..

6. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 18, 2011
    Male
    Keeping you safe from nasty things that give you c
    Oklahoma, cultural center of the Universe
    As long you didn't physically damage anything by forcing a connection, you will be fine.

7. XxXplicit

XxXplicit Member
    None

Aug 11, 2010
    ESP Tech
    Nor Cal
    Might as well call Verizon and ask for a replacement. Looks like you've ruined your phone for not using the charger it came with.

:p

8. cbreze

cbreze Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    Central Oregon
    As mentioned, as long as the plug fits. probably no issue. I've been charging with an HTC charger ever since I got my Maxx, it's an older very sturdy, well made charger I happen to like. The maxxx charger looked kind of cheapo to me. Use the oem if your concerned. Are you new to smartfones btw?

HA,HA, Good one XxX ;) :)

9. petch

petch Newbie
    None

Jun 2, 2010
    Doesn't matter in the least.

10. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    engineer
    The South
    OEM charger is 750 mAh, so it won't charge any slower with the razr one.

However, it will charge faster with 1000 mAh charger.

Any modern phone today uses micro-usb spec.

I didn't see where the op said it was damaged, in fact, it should be just fine, unless it was one of those ebay chargers circa OG Droid that cause the screen to freak out, sometimes permanently.

11. javasirc

javasirc Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 2, 2012
    Truck Driver
    Townsend, DE
    I let a buddy use my MiFi2200 charger to charge his phone since he didnt bring his charger. It fried my charger and i had to get a new one. His phone was fine though.

12. daisy40

daisy40 Member
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Full Time Graduate Student & Full Time Youth Worke
    Minnesota
    USB = UNIVERSAL Serial Bus

they are made to be universal.

13. smurfe

smurfe Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    Paramedic
    Prairieville Louisiana
    I use my old DINC charger to charge mine all the time, I used my old DINC car charger once to charge mine the one time I traveled and forgot my charger. I've used my boy's Droid X and my wife's Droid 2 charger. They have all used mine as well. No one has had an issue with any of our phones.

netguysc likes this.
  14. mtollin

mtollin Well-Known Member
    None

May 4, 2010
    +1
    Car chargers, wall chargers, Garmin Charger. Acer Tablet, Moto ... only charger I haven't interchanged is my Ipod, and I bet it works too as it uses a USB and simply has a different end.

15. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    engineer
    The South
    Some devices (older gps devices) used a mini-usb connector, but did not follow the usb pinout for power. I'm sure that most of them are standardized now.

16. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Member
    None

Mar 20, 2012
    FWIW, I was shopping Amazon for car chargers for my new RAZR Maxx & I called Motorola tech support to ask if I need a Motorola Brand charger or if I can use any car charger I find that is listed as being for the Motorla RAZR Maxx. He said it should not matter as long as it is a micro USB charger. Seems to be the general consensus here as well.

Since you already own multiple chargers for different phones, why not make labels to differentiate them?

17. thedei0niz3r

thedei0niz3r Lurker
    None

Mar 30, 2012
    I'm a computer engineer and have never heard of any device which uses the microusb cable to be non-standard. I am pretty sure with the organization that made the standard that a company would be in trouble if they did not adhere to the standard if they are using the port. There are other similar ports that were used, but these would not plug into a microusb port. Do you have any information on what device it was that used the microusb and didn't adhere to the standard?

Some cheap chargers might only be like 500mA and could get hot from charging a device that wants more mA and it might fry from it maxing out the mA rating on the charger

Unless someone else knows a device that actually used a microusb that was not standard, I guarantee you that plugging in any microusb charger will not harm the phone, the charger might be damaged if it can't provide the mA needed and it gets overheated, but that is unlikely also.

18. SteamStarter

SteamStarter Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 6, 2012
    Male
    Exit 160, NJ
    The only thing I ran into is that some of the USB charging cords are just for charging, so when you connect from your pc to your phone, some cords will not allow you to read and or transfer data, which just means that not all the pins inside the usb cable are connected, therefore it's for charging ONLY.

19. Chuck Kasualty

None

May 20, 2012
    If you're really that concerned, you could put labels on each charger in order to avoid further confusion.

Otherwise, if you haven't had any problems by now, it's likely no damage has been done.

20. mdcowby

mdcowby Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 14, 2010
    Home Repair Services
    Maryland
    I use the one that came with my blackberry for mine, have not had an issue.

21. ac29593

ac29593 Well-Known Member
    None

May 4, 2010
    As long as its micro USB you are fine.

22. Mayhem

Mayhem Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    Male
    Senior Engineer - Software Quality Assurance
    Austin, Texas area
    I use my old LG Ally charger for my Thunderbolt all the time. Like everyone else is saying, if it fits there's no harm.

23. carracerz14

carracerz14 Android Expert
    None

Feb 4, 2011
    Lol. Its fine.

24. sherri

sherri Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    Motorola OG Droid. Motorola branded chargers. They charged my daughters LG EnV2, but the ENV's charger isn't even recognized by Droid. She now has Samsung Stratosphere, and same issue. Car charger is VZW branded,and it charges both (and other daughters Droid 2).

25. Der Juicen

Der Juicen Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    the standard for smart phone chargers is 5.1 volts and and they all use the same style usb cable. the only major difference in the chargers is mA rating which determines how fast your battery will charge, the higher the mA the faster the charge, that is all. the specs on my Droid X wall charger are 5.1v 850mA

i do have a charge for a Jabra bluetooth that has an attached cable that uses the same end as the phones, the specs on that cahrger are 5.0v 180mA. this charger does not work for my phone, and does not damage it either if plugged in. but i can still charge my Jabra with either my supplied droid x wall charger or my verizon branded car charger with no issues.

as for fit... some ports/cables are built with tighter tolerances than others, that is the only reason some cables would not fit as tightly as others, and why some may even fall out.