• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help! I can't choose which phone to get!

Enk

Nov 6, 2009
I just sold my iPhone 4. I used to own the iPhone 3G, went to Droid, then Droid X, then to iPhone 4. Now I miss Android and am going back.

I was hoping to hold off for the Galaxy S II, but nobody has any idea when it will come out on Verizon. So I'm going to go ahead and grab a new phone now. I'm debating between the Xperia Play, Incredible 2, or the Droid X2.

Here are my pros and cons of each.

The Incredible 2 has a nice screen, great size, great build quality, and awesome camera. But it comes with HTC Sense, bootloader is locked, and the CPU isn't the best.

The Droid X has that nice Tegra 2 chip, and also a nice large screen. But it's got Motoblur, locked bootloader, no front facing camera, and it's a little too big imo. (I used to have the Droid X)

The Xperia Play has the gaming controls, stock Gingerbread, and unlocked bootloader. But the screen isn't very great, the phone is very thick, and the processor isn't very quick.

Now honestly, I don't use the front facing camera very often at all on my iPhone 4. And I hardly ever use the normal camera either. I do game a lot on my phone, but I'm not sure if I would take the gaming controls over a sleeker device. Also, with the unlocked bootloader we'll probably see more custom ROMs and overclocking on the Play. The Play also seems to be pretty speedy even with the slower processor, it must really be optimized because games and everything else seem to be running pretty smooth.

So if you were in my shoes, which phone would you choose? I just wish the Play had a better processor so I wouldn't feel like it's going to be obsolete so quick. And I love the hardware of the Incredible 2, but that also has a slow processor and shitty HTC Sense and locked bootloader.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

I am no expert! I did a lot of research before buying, including asking for help here, which I got a lot of. I, too, am a Verizon customer.

If you want 4G, I cannot help, all I see is HTC Thunderbolt, and it is heavy and bulkier than the others. Didn't like it and since we will not get 4G for at least 2 years in my area, I discarded it as a choice.

If you are a "gamer" I am not, so I did no research on those options.

In the end, I think it comes down to HTC Incredible 2 or Droid 2 Global. I got the Dinc2, my son got the Droid2 because he wanted a physical keyboard, I didn't care and wanted the better camera. We are both happy with our choices so far (less than a month). I have always had a physical keyboard and am not finding the on screen keyboard to be an issue.

Upvote 0
I am no expert! I did a lot of research before buying, including asking for help here, which I got a lot of. I, too, am a Verizon customer.

If you want 4G, I cannot help, all I see is HTC Thunderbolt, and it is heavy and bulkier than the others. Didn't like it and since we will not get 4G for at least 2 years in my area, I discarded it as a choice.

If you are a "gamer" I am not, so I did no research on those options.

In the end, I think it comes down to HTC Incredible 2 or Droid 2 Global. I got the Dinc2, my son got the Droid2 because he wanted a physical keyboard, I didn't care and wanted the better camera. We are both happy with our choices so far (less than a month). I have always had a physical keyboard and am not finding the on screen keyboard to be an issue.

I'm also not too worried about 4G. It's nice, but I don't want to worry about battery life and it's not available where I am anyways right now. I am a gamer, but I'm just not sure if I'd rather have the controls or a sleeker phone. And I'm not considering a Droid 2 because it's much slower and I wasn't a fan of my Droid when I had it. Physical keyboards aren't that important to me. Did you look at the Droid X2? It doesn't have the physical keyboard, but it's much faster than the Incredible 2 and Droid 2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones