• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps [HELP] I get an adb issue when trying to run my app!

Hey guys, I've been trying to make a basic counter app to practice my development skills and I've run into a few issue. There's no errors in my code but whenever I try to run my app to test it I get this message in the console

[2011-09-11 18:01:27 - AndroidAppDevolopment] ------------------------------
[2011-09-11 18:01:27 - AndroidAppDevolopment] Android Launch!
[2011-09-11 18:01:27 - AndroidAppDevolopment] Connection with adb was interrupted.
[2011-09-11 18:01:27 - AndroidAppDevolopment] 0 attempts have been made to reconnect.
[2011-09-11 18:01:27 - AndroidAppDevolopment] You may want to manually restart adb from the Devices view.

This has been really confusing since I don't know what adb is and why I've been getting the error. My emulator works fine so I'm really confused at the moment, so if someone could help then that would be great!

Many Thanks

(adb means android debug bridge -- it's the app that lets your computer talk to phones over USB or emulated phones )

if you are on windows vista or win7, this may help:

- Close eclipse
- open the folder where you installed the SDK, there should be a folder "platform-tools"
- go into the platform-tools folder
- in the address bar of windows explorer (when in the platform-tools folder), type cmd
- in the command prompt type:
Code:
adb kill-server
then
Code:
adb start-server
open eclipse and try again :)

Upvote 0
(adb means android debug bridge -- it's the app that lets your computer talk to phones over USB or emulated phones )

if you are on windows vista or win7, this may help:

- Close eclipse
- open the folder where you installed the SDK, there should be a folder "platform-tools"
- go into the platform-tools folder
- in the address bar of windows explorer (when in the platform-tools folder), type cmd
- in the command prompt type:
Code:
adb kill-server
then
Code:
adb start-server
open eclipse and try again :)
No I still get the same problem :(

I am on windows 7 and I also get an error whenever i start eclipse - [2011-09-11 20:07:54 - ddms]Failed to initialize Monitor Thread: Unable to establish loopback connection

Upvote 0
Do you have Anti-virus or firwall software blocking connections? Normally they wouldnt block a loopback connection, but if that's the error....

Only other thing I can think is maybe you have your SDK path set incorrectly in eclipse
Im 100% sure I have the path correct since the emulator works ... and I remember having trouble with it but I managed to solve it. I will disable all my firewalls and then try ... :(

Upvote 0
Do you have Anti-virus or firwall software blocking connections? Normally they wouldnt block a loopback connection, but if that's the error....

Only other thing I can think is maybe you have your SDK path set incorrectly in eclipse
I disabled all anti virus and firewalls and still the same error ... This is where I saved my SDK - C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows

And the SDK path is - C:\PROGRA~1\\Android\android-sdk-windows

I'm using a x64bit laptop so that's why i used PROGRA~1

:(:thinking::thinking::(

Upvote 0
Window > Preferences > Android

Should be at the top there, may need to restart eclipse.

Not sure what else to tell ya after that, but try to ask questions out here in public -- I cant answer a bunch of PMs, and it's just better for the community if we help each other out in the open. We can potentially help more that way :)
Thanks, I'll try now

And it's probably best if I just post any updates here so anyone else can find a fix quickly

I will post an update once I re-installed everything, which may be tomorrow

Reactions: alostpacket
Upvote 0
I am not good with theese troubles but i took my time and looked around on the web for an answear for you and i found this information bellow:

I am running on Linux and this is some way i found you could fix it in Debian linux it also works in Ubuntu:
down vote
Just in case anyone finds this looking for an answer.
If you are running Linux (I'm running Debian but this will work on the Ubuntu too) you may find that ipv6 is bound and that is preventing eclipse and the ddms from connecting to the adb. To check if ipv6 is running, enter this into a terminal/shell:
sudo sysctl -a|grep net.ipv6.bindv6only
if you are then given a line saying "net.ipv6.bindv6only = 1" then ipv6 bind only is enabled. To disable it enter this in a terminal:
sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.binv6only=0
That will disable it. Now restart eclipse and try again. If that works then it was indeed ipv6 bindings that caused the issue. To permanently disable it edit the file /etc/sysctl.d/bindv6only and change the value from 1 to 0.
You may also want to read this: Issue 3025 - android - Adb Server not working.. - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Resources:
www.Google.com

Google Custom Search

When i runing my android app I got error - Stack Overflow

Issue 3025 - android - Adb Server not working.. - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Upvote 0
I am not good with theese troubles but i took my time and looked around on the web for an answear for you and i found this information bellow:

I am running on Linux and this is some way i found you could fix it in Debian linux it also works in Ubuntu:
You may also want to read this: Issue 3025 - android - Adb Server not working.. - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Resources:
www.Google.com

Google Custom Search

When i runing my android app I got error - Stack Overflow

Issue 3025 - android - Adb Server not working.. - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting
I tried all these ideas and nothings working :(

I think I may install ubuntu and try to set things up on there

Upvote 0
ADB is short for Android Debug Bridge i just found out.. Which makes it easier to help you :)

I found this site with some information what the ADB is about: Android Debug Bridge | Android Developers

Am not sure but this came up on google also: Using DDMS | Android Developers

I am not sure.. But that is like all i can find..
You could try ubuntu also.. If u got any questions there just ask me.. I'll be happy to answear, But i warn u migrate from Windows to Linux might be frustrating at first :)

Upvote 0
I was getting the same problem today, I tried everything that people suggested, from disabling my firewall, editing my hosts file, restarting adb server... Nothing helped really.

What you need to check out is if your Java SDK / JRE's are correctly installed.
I had the following installed:
Java JRE 6u30 x86
Java SDK 7u2 x64
Java JRE 7u2 x64
Java JRE 6u30 x64
Java SDK 6u30 x64

The bold installations were the one I kept and after I uninstalled the others I finally had my Eclipse working like it's supposed to.

Upvote 0
I faced the same problem and it took me more than a day to... to find this message. I downgraded JDK from 7u2 to 6u30 and eclipse started to work.

Eclipse have a lot of things that needs upgrade when you upgrade something. I always upgrade by the Help->Check for Updates, the only time when I upgrade something by me, I have bigger issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones