• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help! I messed up my phone using setvsel!

ej132

Feb 1, 2010
Hey all I think Ive made a mistake and hope I can fix this! Ive had my phone rooted for awhile and have been loving it. Anyway I was trying to improve battery life a bit more so I tried setvsel. I downloaded it and since last night all I did on the app was set the slider to 100% (supposed to be most efficient, lowest power) but then I was looking at it earlier tonight and changed the two settings that were at 10% each but then set them both to 50% and checked the boxes. Now when I start my phone it starts normal, then I unlock it and in the notification bar it says Media Scanning like normal, but then its frozen and turns off but the phone boots up real quick again to the lock screen and just keeps repeating this. Please tell me what I need to do to fix my phone!

Samsung epic 4g touch is the phone.

-Thanks
E.J.

I believe I did that. Haha been so long since I rooted I dont remember this all. I took the battery out and did vol.- and the power button, it came up with the warning then now it shows the android guy and says "Downloading...Do not turn off target!" I dont know what that means.

Upvote 0
I'd be careful with wiping unless you're sure you are in a safe recovery. I have heard tale of hard bricking due to some bugs with wiping. Just try to restore and see if that works.

Agreed, if you have a Nandroid then restore... if not you have really no choice but to wipe. It's obviously the data from the app making you bootloop.

But you should always make up to date backups periodically

Upvote 0
So the safest thing to do would be to just click the "Backup and Restore" and just follow it rather than wipe? Cause I remember when I first did it and I was trying out different roms that I had to wipe each time. Is there a chance through all this I might not lose my text messages or is there a way I can save them now?

Upvote 0
So the safest thing to do would be to just click the "Backup and Restore" and just follow it rather than wipe? Cause I remember when I first did it and I was trying out different roms that I had to wipe each time. Is there a chance through all this I might not lose my text messages or is there a way I can save them now?

You can get a free sms backup app. There's nothing wrong with wiping. But there have been times where that hard bricked it instead of stop the boot loop. You can do either forreal. I've wiped cache and data many of times after a Rom starts acting unstable and I've never had a problem

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone so much! My phone is working now! Haha I forgot how it all looked stock. I had been getting the update notice while rooted but knew I couldnt do it but now that Im stock again should I update to 4.0.4? from what Ive read many are having horrible battery problems. Is that still an issue?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones