• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HELP! i rooted and unrooted, now i cant root

ive followed the steps in "the easiest way to root with no app or computer"

sudo
ln -s /system/xbin/sudo /system/xbin/su
ln -s /system/xbin/sudo /system/bin/su

then i unrooted by typing

rm /system/xbin/sudo /system/xbin/su
rm /system/xbin/sudo /system/bin/su

now im unrooted. but i need to be rooted to do my back up

and i try it all over again and it says permission denied

please help a poor fella out :(

oh boy, im not very good about any of this, can you explain to me exactly what i need to do??? :)

or point me into the right direction?

i just need to get rooted again to go back in my ti backup and restore my bloat

what it i do a factory reset?

i want to return it back to best buy (within my 30 days from purchase) cuz im not happy with it

Upvote 0
Factory reset will not replace the two files. It will wipe the data though and there's no way Best Buy will know the files are missing out of the load.

You need the files from /xbin that you killed. I don't have them handy - maybe someone else does. There could be a problem restoring them however as without root you can't remount the /system directory writable. I suspect you'll have to gingerbreak the phone to get root back.

Upvote 0
I had a similar problem. I rooted by symlinking like you did, then installed busybox and superuser. After a bit I decided I really didn't need to be rooted, so I used the root explorer option on Es file explorer and deleted the busybox binary from xbin, and deleted su from bin and xbin the same way. Then I uninstalled superuser. Now when I type sudo, I get permission denied. I made sure the sudo binary is still there in xbin, and it is. Wtf?

Interestingly, if I install superuser and then try sudo, the superuser prompt comes up and by clicking Allow, sudo will go through. But I didn't need superuser to do that before!

Maybe a leftover configuration file from superuser or some such? Idk. I'm just starting to get into all this hacking business :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones