• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root !HELP I think i did something Stupid!!!!!!

darked17

Aug 19, 2012
Hello People..

I Should start saying i em a NOOB to andoid and i thought i was doing something smart but i got scared and now i dont know what to do..

I have a Samsung Galaxy S Advance GT-I9070..

So i was wondering what is a root and how to root and i decided to follow these steps i found in the web..

************* Steps i Found **********************

1. Download GT-I9070-root.rar, and extract it (download link available at the end of article)

2. From downloaded rar you just extracted run program Odin3 v1.83.exe

3. Then open Settings in your phone, go to Aplications -> Development and check USB Debugging and Allow mock locations. Both needs to be Checked (Selected).

4. Turn off phone and turn it back on into Download mode, like this press Volume Down + Home button + Power button, wait untill some "strange" screen appers, put in usb cable and choose continue.

5. Now wait until Odin recognize your phone. It can take a while first time, if you have problems search for samsung drivers on the internet,

6. Under PIT file browse for GT-I9070_EUR_XX_8G_20111220_KL6.pit, you have extracted this file before.

7. Under PDA choose rootkernel.tar.md5.

8. Then check what options are checked (Selected), be sure to UNCHECK (remove selction) Re-Partition, Flash Lock, Phone EFS Clear, Phone Bootloader Update! Only Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time should be checked (Selected)

9. When this is set just press Start and wait for phone to reboot.

When the phone rebooted it was okay.. but i got scared so i did a FACTORY RESET settings.. The phone shuts down and restarts and when its done... "Its the same". It will not factory Reset..

What can i do i want to restore it to how it was i do not wish to root it any more please help me..

I EM SCARED...

To be honest.. i dont even know if it was properly rooted?..

I just did those steps and then i got scared.. honestly i will admit it.. and now i dont even know if its been rooted or not.. and i would rather just go back.. to how it was..

How do i know if its been rooted?

Please help me i em scared.. i just got this phone 2 days ago.. :(

Upvote 0
No i have checked and there is nothing called "superuser"... a friend said i have to download that from google play..

I currently Live in Mexico.. and my phone is configured through a Mexican Carrier called TELCEL.. and if i dial *111 i can call them and get my current phone balance since i dont have a data plan..

But when i try to dial *111 i get a error "Not supported by sim"

I can no send messages, but i dont know how many minutes i have left since i cant dial that number... and i dont have that superuser..

What can i do please help me !!

Upvote 0
Hello..

This is actually the tutorial that i some how followed..all the steps until step 9 i pressed start on the ODIN software and then the phone restarted and it seemed Ok... here is were i freaked out i did not do step 10.. when my phone restarted i decided to do a system restore by going in to Settings + privacy + Factory Data Reset..

Note) i did this before on MOnday and i saw a code and then vuala.. the phone was back to original..

So i did this right after step 9 and the phone did restart and when it was finished loading.. it had everything the same.. it did not erase nothing.. I tried it again and again.. and reset after rest nothing happens all my icons are the same.. and now my phone is rebooting..

Please help me i dont know what else to do i already looking for the firmware as you mentioned in the last post cant seem to find it i em scared please help.

Upvote 0
If you downloaded the file listed in that tutorial, you flashed European firmware which is probably why your phone no longer connects to your network. I'm sorry, I don't know what the appropriate firmware is for your phone. You could go back to the store where you got it and check a display model to see what the firmware version should be and then match it to what's available on sammobile. You'll need to know Android version and Baseband, kernel and build number.

Upvote 0
Well my phone is connected to my network.. its working i mean i can call.. i can text message.. the only thing that it does now is ... Restart on its own some times. hey you i know whats wrong the kernal is wrong i just saw a review from my carrier here in mexico and i took a screen shot can you help me get it please my phone will not ststop restarting...
9a468a1a.jpg

Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply iem still searching.. to be honest not to sure what i em looking for.. i just dont know what i did (i did nothing.. my mistake was lending it to a friend who was so freakin proactive and he did this).. Its a good phone i have only had it for 2 days and now its restarting very often i can still use it. Before it restarts, well i will try that update, according to the link you sent me in spanish.. its an update for my phone "How to Update Galaxy S Advance I9070 with Official XXLE2 Gingerbread 2.3.6 Firmware" i did some searching on the web and found..

""Being an official release of the Android platform, by installing the same you will be able to regain the warranty (in case it was previously void) as the system will be relocked and the factory restrictions re-installed. Also, if your handset is rooted, the root access will be revoked if you flash the XXLE2 Gingerbread 2.3.6 firmware on your Galaxy S Advance. For re-rooting you will have to follow a suitable guide for the new OS. Don’t worry as in the coming days we will bring such a tutorial too.""

So maybe if it works (downloading the files.... ) i wonder if this will stop my phone from restarting?... Do you know why it restarts?..

-*When i finish this will i be able to do a factory reset like before?..

Any other advise..?..

I really appreciate all the help i em getting.. if i can fix this its no more messing around for me...

Upvote 0
Lunacic59: I just want to say THANK YOU!! It worked.. i downloaded that update you found and the phone did its RESTORE and it is now working.. Its actually even better.. the firmware is cooler.

I just want to say a million times THANK YOU!!!

This is now my favorite forum.. i no longer wish to do a freakin boot.. (on other hand now i have the original firmware right xD ) NO!! jaja one scare is enough.. thank you have a great day and i em really happy there are people like you in the world..

If you ever come to Mexico.. please let me know and i will gladly invite you a beer or soda.. (Tequila why not)..

Thank you...

Your Friend from Mexico

Eder B.

Thank you!!!!

Upvote 0
Lunacic59: I just want to say THANK YOU!! It worked.. i downloaded that update you found and the phone did its RESTORE and it is now working.. Its actually even better.. the firmware is cooler.

I just want to say a million times THANK YOU!!!

This is now my favorite forum.. i no longer wish to do a freakin boot.. (on other hand now i have the original firmware right xD ) NO!! jaja one scare is enough.. thank you have a great day and i em really happy there are people like you in the world..

If you ever come to Mexico.. please let me know and i will gladly invite you a beer or soda.. (Tequila why not)..

Thank you...

Your Friend from Mexico

Eder B.

Thank you!!!!

Hey, that's the best news, glad it worked for you.

Actually, Me and the Mrs. will be heading to Cancun in January. :)

Upvote 0
Well i currently live in Mexico City.. So we are going to be really far.. but hey if you ever come in the city why not?

Well guess what i could not help it and i did the root.. LOL and its done! my phone is now rooted but hey now i have the original firmware from samsung backed up..

So here is my next question i asked a friend now what its rooted so what?...

There is a really nice room that i found and i would like to install he tells me the first thing to do is backup my current rom, just in case ...

So he advise me to instal rom manager.. and i did then i looked online and it told me to run rom manager and then click on "Flash Clockwork Recovery" and i em suppose to select my phone model then i click back up my rom..

Well when i click on flash clockwrold my phones model does not appear it tells me to select Samsung s I9000 but my phone is a I9070.. i still selected it then i clicked on back up my rom and the phone restarted and i got this message..

Androide system recovery (3e)

-Reboot system now
-Apply update from sd card
-wipde data/factory rest
-wipe cache partition

-----------------------------------

-- Installing package...
Finding update package..
Opening update package..
Verifying update package..
E: failed to very whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed.
Instalation aborted

------------------------------------------

i tried room toolbox and it cant i also tried titanium and it failed... my phone is rooted i did install superuser and it does grant permision to these apps. but i dont know why i cant back up my room..

So first thing do i need to back it up?

I dont have an external SD all that i do i work on internall..

Can you please give me an advise?

Upvote 0
I can't emphasize this enough. GET RID OF ROM MANAGER! There is nothing that will mess up a Samsung Phone faster.

To perform a nandroid backup (make a complete backup of your current setup) You will need to boot into recovery, but this will also depend on the root method. Shut the phone off. Then while holding both the vol. up and vol. down buttons, press and hold the power button until the screen flashes the startup screen. Then release the power button but keep holding the vol. buttons until it boots into recovery. it should look something like this:

lunatic59-albums-stuff-picture6182-cwm5.jpg

Then you use the volume buttons to make your selection (backup and restore) and use the power button to select. You want to backup, it's fairly self explanatory.

from there you can flash a rom and if it fails for any reason you boot into recovery just like the first time only you select restore and it puts your phone back to the way it is now.

Upvote 0
The advance has an 8 GB and 16 GB model. Either way you have internal storage and that's where the backup will be placed. It would be advisable for you to make a copy of the backup and put it on an external sd card but not necessary (you can also copy the files to a PC).

Unfortunately I don't see a stable CM9 rom for the i9070. Don't know if anything there will work for your phone. You might have to ask one of the developers on the Cyanogen forums.

Upvote 0
Hey..

In did it i entered System Recovery mode but its not the same as yours i do not have that option!!!

This is all that i have!! i have no option to do recovery why?.. did i mess up my phone=?

Androide system recovery (3e)

-Reboot system now
-Apply update from sd card
-wipde data/factory rest
-wipe cache partition

Upvote 0
That's the stock recovery module for your phone. In many cases rooting the phone involves installing a custom kernel and usually includes a custom CWM (ClockWork Mod) recovery that will give you the option to backup and restore.

I have been searching for you but I'm not finding a whole lot of information about your specific model. It's very important that when flashing roms and kernels that they are developed for your model phone. If you flash incorrect firmware it could have serious consequences up to and including permanently disabling your phone.

Unless you can find a rom for your phone model, I'd recommend against it.

Upvote 0
Wow..

Okay so i will not install nothing.. hey i have another issue..

Jesus.. this phone is...

Well you know when you are not using the phone.. the screen is black right?.. the when you get a message the screen lights up for i dont know 5 seconds then it goes back to dark..

Well i em working and i put my phone on my table.. next to my computer and i saw the screen light up.. so i was like what? did i get a message nope.. did i get a call.. nope, then why did the screen turn on or light up for about 3 seconds.. ??

So i restarted the phone and was thinking.. mm strange right now i have the data activity turned off, so i em not connected to internet, its not a message nothing, si i restarted the phone and timed it it blinked at 8:24 am.. then i was working and it turned on again for 3 seconds, then off then on and off and on and off and it was 8:33.. So the screen is actually turning on when its asleep.. strange.. ? its never done that before?... i em not even touching the phone? if it does this every 10 min the batter life is going to die faster.. i em waiting again..

That i can remember it did not do that yesterday and the difference is now it has a 2gb sd card and its been rooted????...

Any idea?...

Upvote 0
That's a tough one. Rooting should make no difference at all unless you gave permission to an app to have superuser rights. Open your app drawer and find "superuser" (looks like a skull and crossbones) and tap on it. You will see a list of any apps that have been granted permission to have administrative rights. If there are any, remove them from the list (you can always add them back) and see if that stops the phone from waking up.

It could also be the the sd card. If the card is not properly seated in the phone or the contacts or dirty, or the card itself is damaged, it could be forcing the phone to rescan it intermittently. again, remove the card and see if that fixes the problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones