• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help!! I work with conspiracy theorists!!!

Addressing the OP:

your best bet is to blink, nod, and smile. Do NOT actually engage them in discussing their theories: that is a rabbit hole that goes on forever.

Or, if you feel like being somewhat perverse: research such theories, find the most ridiculous, and verbally embrace it when your coworkers start up with theirs'. Believe me: pretty much every conspiracy theory can be tied to every other, often with humorous results...

Upvote 0
I tend to ignore the fringe nut jobs from either side to be honest. They huff and puff and try like hell to blow our houses down but in the end they just look stupid.

Now, I feel the need to preface this next part with this:

My job requires that I drive...a lot. Sometimes early in the morning. Sometimes late at night. Sometimes ridiculously long distances for very little actual work (I get paid and it's on their gas card so it doesn't bother me much). Many times, the radio in my (company provided) work van is the only thing that keeps me sane and/or awake. They didn't spring for CD players and I don't always get a good enough signal to use Pandora and abuse the hell out of my unlimited data plan. Bottom line, as much as I don't like it, I end up listening to talk radio more often than I want to admit.

I actually heard the Bane/Bain comparison on Rush and had to laugh. Why? 45 minutes earlier on Glenn Beck, they were praising the movie (which I haven't seen) because the villain and his followers reminded them of the Occupy Wall Street movement.

Upvote 0
There is no reasoning with conspiracy theorists. They lack excitement in their life or haven't discovered dating that doesn't require a broadband connection. Ignoring them is best. Even when presented with facts they still dismiss it. For example due to my profession I constantly get people citing Gasland and they all sound the same, "What about people that can light their tap water on fire?" And presenting them with, "Was the methane in the water biogenic or thermogenic?" They don't know the answer yet it's all true because big oil is evil.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones