1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Help. I'm locked up

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jelboss366, Dec 29, 2013.

1. jelboss366

jelboss366 Lurker
    None

Oct 19, 2012
    Male
    Proffessional airbrush artist, musician
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    I have a question. (or ten:eek:) I am an Android musician. I've been a musician for years (about 40). I've owned regular analog music production studios, and digital, (as soon as it was out). Now the new thing is Android music production. In order to collaborate outside of the apps, and between laptop audio apps, and email...it has become a we thing. We can now work on parts of songs and collaborate via Android. So...

I got an android 4.something Ice Cream Sandwich (Kyocera Hydro), and I need a second phone to use sort-of like a 3 1/2 in. tablet cp. So I got a new Samsung Legend, 1.2 something ghz dual core Jelly Bean, and all that, but it's a Verizon phone. So...here's what I was wondering...

Can a locked phone be unlocked by rooting the phone? (the Samsung Legend) Also, these new phones will not allow moving things to the SD card. I didn't know these things when I got the phone, but; I did know music production takes some storage space. Second question.

Will rooting the Samsung Legend allow me to move apps to the SD card? As it is now, they have to be over a gig. And last, does rooting a phone (the Samsung Legend) unlock the phone so I could use it like a tablet with someone's hotspot or wifi?

I want to use the Legend like a small tablet pc, just for music production, but as is, it's all locked up. I'm wondering what rooting the phone will allow me to do. Thankx in advance:rolleyes:

Advertisement

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Sorry for taking this off topic a bit mate and im sure someone will offer help with your questions but im interested in what apps you use for the music production?

3. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 22, 2010
    there are a few things that need to be cleared up before we move on.

Rooting.. you better read more about it. don't go in.. knowing only half the story.
    you bound to be disappointed or worse!
    so I suggest you read more.

out of the box.. the devices should be able to be used with other "hotspots" and "wifi" like tablets. just turn on the wifi radio and login to the network. simple.

NOTE: I have NO knowledge of music and its production!!!! so what I say is all guesses on my part. take it or leave it.

rooting will not make it (device) any more powerful to do music production.
    the phones you mentioned.. don't sound very powerful! and are not top of the line.
    so.. I think you need to re-evaluate the hardware for your needs.

concerning music production... software does not care of your device is rooted or not. I don't know how Verizon or any carrier would lock it down where this is concerned. The software will need strong hardware to support it... depending on the size and scope of the music file you create.

my suggestion.. you get a better device... maybe a real tablet.. with SD card support. I also have heard that apple devices have better software for this type of work. I heard that android apps are starting to get better but not sure if they are on par with apple apps yet.

argedion, funkylogik and ocnbrze like this.
  4. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Thread moved from Android Lounge to forum for discussing phones that don't have a dedicated forum.

... Thom

5. jelboss366

jelboss366 Lurker
    None

Oct 19, 2012
    Male
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Thankz Dan. I am doing android music production with phones only. A tab would be great, but not for this project. You mentioned hardware; what I mainly am concerned with, is that not only this new phone, but most new phones don't allow you to move apps to the sd card. This is the main problem I'm having. As far as a better device goes, I'm already doing this with an older phone, with a lot less under the hood. Music files and apps take use a lot of storage, and my older phones that are now out of date, allow me to move almost anything to the sd card. This is my main concern. I was wondering if rooting the new one would work around the app to external sd problem. Samsung says only apps 1 gig or larger can be moved as is now; and according to them, the apps have to catch up and allow the move to external sd. Shruggs. Any help you have would be greatly appreciated, and thanks again.

6. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 22, 2010
    ok..

question.. why does your music app.. want only space on the phone storage? can it NOT use files located on the sdcard?

Yes... many devices have root apps to help move apps to the sd card (part of the app). but NOT all devices have good developer support for these types of functions.
    so you might want to read up on the device in question:
    1. does it have root access? via Manufacture or Developers
    2. Kernels / ROMs that support moving of apps to sd card.
    3. stable ROMs. Some ROMs even help reduce the OS footprint in the RAM...

aftermarket developer support is very device dependent and the more popular devices have a lot of options and better programmers. un-popular devices have little to NO support.

7. jelboss366

jelboss366 Lurker
    None

Oct 19, 2012
    Male
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Audio Evolution Mobil pro. Tape Machine. and Supreme MPA. You should check them out.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.aemobiledemo look at the picture slides and you can see pretty much what I'm doing. This is a free demo

This is a fun app even if you're not a musician, and the free version is about as good as the paid one. It's an actual MPC machine
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mindtherobot.apps.mpa.beta:)