1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help? I'm probably an idiot...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jenniferware75, Dec 2, 2013.

1. jenniferware75

Hello! I'm new to this forum, I just searched under the Galaxy S4 threads but couldn't find what I was looking for. I just got a used Galaxy from CL today and took it to Verizon to be activated. The lady checked the IMEI #, put a new SIM in and got it going, no problem. Until about 15 minutes later. I get home, and this is obviously a demo phone (which I know VZ sells but I would think this video would have been taken off). Anyway, I call Tech Support to see what they can tell me and they say that basically I'm stuck with it but it might be STOLEN. :( Even though the number came up clean?

I guess I have a couple of questions...can I get this annoying video off? And even if it's not reported stolen now, it could be so if/when that happens, will it appear that I stole it?!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

1) How you get the video off depends on where it is. Some "bloatware" actually isn't and can be removed.

2) Could it be reported stolen in the future? Sure - that's a standard CL scam. Get a phone that's worth a bit of money, sell it on CL, wait a week or two and report it stolen, it gets disabled and you get a free replacement (minus any deductible). You've already been to Verizon. Go back - to a corporate store - and speak to the manager. Explain the situation and ask if he can run the ESN again and, if it's clean, note that in the records.

It'll help in the prosecutor's case when the miscreant reports it stolen and tries to get it replaced. (It's larceny by fraud, insurance fraud and using interstate commerce [the internet is considered interstate] to commit a felony.)

If it's never reported stolen you wasted 5 minutes and you're stuck with a video you don't like.

3. jenniferware75

Thank you for your reply. When I talked to the VZ Tech Support about the video, they traced it to the store it was from. I talked to that manager and she said that yes it had been stolen, but no they hadn't noticed it (until Verizon called them). So I'm not as concerned about the CL guy reporting it stolen (actually now I am that you mentioned it!) but the store reporting it. And of course, if they claim it was stolen I will return it asap. I plan on going to the store tomorrow to return it and talk to the mgr in person.

Now I'm just mad (at myself, no one else) that I'm stuck with a stolen phone and no other options other than shelling out $600-700 for a new one. :( I had Best Buy Geek Squad insurance and not insurance through Verizon. They unfortunately don't cover stolen phones..of course Verizon does and I would have only had to pay a deductible to get my old phone back.

Thanks for your reply...sucks all around. Maybe once I talk to the mgr in person at the store he can give me some options.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews