• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help I'm stuck on Android 4.4.2!!!

A

Andrew R

Right let's get this out of the way early: I'm a newbie but I'm going to try and not waste everyone's time :)

I'm new to Android. I have a Galaxy S5 that is stuck on 4.4.2. Every now and then at the lock screen I get messages along the lines of "New software available in settings" When I go to settings and 'About Device' and try and upgrade I get a message similar to "you are on the latest version etc".

This seems strange to me as there have been multiple updates to Android since this version which I believe is the version that was current when this phone was released? (Remember I'm new :)) Should I be able to upgrade to a later version??

Ok here's some info that I believe is important

Model: SM-G900I
Version: 4.4.2

FIRMWARE
AP: G900IDVU1ANC7
CP: G900IDVU1ANC9
CSC: G900IXZA1ANC7

Other:
Carrier: Telstra

I haven't 'rooted' the phone or done anything exotic to it! I did buy it online through a commercial (not private seller). Appeared to be new but could have some 'history'

I've installed Kies and it's also saying the same thing as the phone i.e. you are up to date.

All up no real major issues except for Spotify not working and the phone being a bit laggy etc but just want to make sure I'm on the latest version.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers All

Use Odin and install stock
  1. you need to download Odin.
  2. Install the program and then download the Android firmware for your Galaxy S5 – visit SamMobile.com for downloading the official update.
  3. Also install the Galaxy S5 USB drivers and unzip the firmware file on the same folder as Odin.
  4. Enter your smartphone in download mode by pressing on Volume down, power and home buttons at the same time.
  5. Run Odin on your computer and then connect your devices via USB cable.
  6. On the program the ID:COM section should now turn yellow or blue and the “added” message must be displayed – if not retry the guide from step 1.
  7. Up next from Odin pick “PA” and select the update file; don’t make any other changes and click on “start”.
  8. In the end the “pass” message will be displayed and the ID:COM section will turn green meaning that you are done. (Via)
So, now you should know how to update Samsung Galaxy S5 with OTA or stock / official Android firmware.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones