• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help installing CM on Galaxy s3 running 4.3

bjf18

Sep 19, 2012
hello, im wanting to put cyanogenmod on my S3. i just bought it a few days ago under verizon prepaid. i have done some reading and from my understanding that it running 4.3 gives it a locked bootloader. some forums say that you cant put in a custom recovery or flash any roms with a locked bootloader. now i have been researching for hours and i get different things with different dates. im sure it can be done some way. so my request is could someone give me a link or some kind of short tutorial of how to properly put CM on my galaxy S3? or at least give a tutorial that you can make up? where they have the files for CM, has nothing of how to install it or what to do before doing so. im kinda a noob to the brand samsung so i know im not familiar with the whole firmware stuff. ive only worked with htc and toshiba devices. so if someone could please help me out. id greatly appreciate it!

You do realize that when you install a custom firmware you void your warrenty, right?

If you're OK with this, then go to their website and install it from there, I did it in the past, it's VERY easy to do, it detects the phone you have, doesn't brick it or anything, no fancy file downloading and stuff :p

Only big thing that you might need to worry about (besides the warrenty) is that when you do download it you lose all your data so you'll need to back it all up on an external SD card or to your computer.

Upvote 0
right what exactly are you talking about by "theyre website"? maybe give me a quick rundown by what you mean please? i just wanna be extra careful an all and yes im ok with voiding the warranty and losing all my data an such. its empty right now anyways. i just got it but i hate stock. nothing good about it.

Upvote 0
right what exactly are you talking about by "theyre website"? maybe give me a quick rundown by what you mean please? i just wanna be extra careful an all and yes im ok with voiding the warranty and losing all my data an such. its empty right now anyways. i just got it but i hate stock. nothing good about it.

http://www.cyanogenmod.org

Follow what it says there and you should be good, be aware you require both a laptop and your phone to do this :)

Also, your firmware will be upgraded to 4.4.4 so don't worry about that, if you want to revert back just flash your stock firmware 4.3 version (NOTHING OLDER!!!!) And you'll be fine :)

Upvote 0
ok thank you to the both of you. i kinda figured you had meant the CM site so i went there and found the installer. i have no problem upgrading to 4.4. i kinda wanted to just to be up-to-date but on other forums, it was said to not update because then you wouldnt be able to use CM for the CM released was meant for 4.3. so that is why i didnt update. if i use the installer and everything works just fine with CM, then i probably wont revert back to 4.3. im not real picky about the versions lol. but thanks again. you two been a great help. much appreciated!

oh and on a side note and not to go off topic, surely anyone running CM or even a custom rom for that matter will want a custom recovery in case anything goes wrong. i mean you always got odin mode to correct things if recovery fails but itd be just nice to have as an extra back up. any idea on how to go about putting in a new recovery without bricking? or does the CM installer do that as well?

Upvote 0
ok thank you to the both of you. i kinda figured you had meant the CM site so i went there and found the installer. i have no problem upgrading to 4.4. i kinda wanted to just to be up-to-date but on other forums, it was said to not update because then you wouldnt be able to use CM for the CM released was meant for 4.3. so that is why i didnt update. if i use the installer and everything works just fine with CM, then i probably wont revert back to 4.3. im not real picky about the versions lol. but thanks again. you two been a great help. much appreciated!

oh and on a side note and not to go off topic, surely anyone running CM or even a custom rom for that matter will want a custom recovery in case anything goes wrong. i mean you always got odin mode to correct things if recovery fails but itd be just nice to have as an extra back up. any idea on how to go about putting in a new recovery without bricking? or does the CM installer do that as well?

I don't know if it did, but try clockworkmod recovery, you need to be rooted for it to work though :p

Upvote 0
i do already have root. i used towelroot. i tried the other common method but it never worked. i believe i have tried to flash a new recovery which was i think twrp cause i love how there recovery is set up. ive had to many problems on other phones with clockworkmod. anyways i have read on a forum i dont remember where cause ive been all over the net about the recovery part but i have read that if you have a locked bootloader (which i guess cant be unlocked running 4.3 or 4.4) then you cant install roms or recoveries. so i was losing hope that theres no possibility of putting CM on it then. samsung can be so confusing lol. so i tried flashing the recovery and my pc died when it was going on and i think the recovery corrupted because it wont go into recovery just freeze. flashing a new one over the corrupted one should fix the issue correct?
thanks again for all the support!

Upvote 0
i do already have root. i used towelroot. i tried the other common method but it never worked. i believe i have tried to flash a new recovery which was i think twrp cause i love how there recovery is set up. ive had to many problems on other phones with clockworkmod. anyways i have read on a forum i dont remember where cause ive been all over the net about the recovery part but i have read that if you have a locked bootloader (which i guess cant be unlocked running 4.3 or 4.4) then you cant install roms or recoveries. so i was losing hope that theres no possibility of putting CM on it then. samsung can be so confusing lol. so i tried flashing the recovery and my pc died when it was going on and i think the recovery corrupted because it wont go into recovery just freeze. flashing a new one over the corrupted one should fix the issue correct?

The bootloader is only locked on the Verizon s3. And twrp doesn't work right on all sprint versions (sph L710) but philz touch recovery works very well. If you have root you can use an app called flashify to install recovery. But it has to be a recovery.img file. It won't work for tar files. Just get the zip of the recovery you want and extract the recovery.img from it and flashify will install it. But do not try to install recovery on Verizon s3, its locked.

Upvote 0

What Madbat said :p

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
The bootloader is only locked on the Verizon s3. And twrp doesn't work right on all sprint versions (sph L710) but philz touch recovery works very well. If you have root you can use an app called flashify to install recovery. But it has to be a recovery.img file. It won't work for tar files. Just get the zip of the recovery you want and extract the recovery.img from it and flashify will install it. But do not try to install recovery on Verizon s3, its locked.
ok well i have the verizon s3. well verizon prepaid but i think its the same. so you are saying that its not possible to have a custom recovery on my s3 then since its on verizon? not even if flashed through odin? and is there any way to unlock the bootloader if so?
seem legit?
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/29256-tutorial-rootrecoverybootloader-unlockicsjb-verizon-galaxy-s-iii/

Upvote 0
ok well i have the verizon s3. well verizon prepaid but i think its the same. so you are saying that its not possible to have a custom recovery on my s3 then since its on verizon? not even if flashed through odin? and is there any way to unlock the bootloader if so?
seem legit?
[TUTORIAL] [ROOT/RECOVERY/BOOTLOADER UNLOCK][ICS/JB] Verizon Galaxy S III - Galaxy S III (All Variants) - RootzWiki

Just do what I did, go on Cyanogenmod's website without a clue on what to do and let the installer do all the work.

It worked for me :p

Upvote 0
Just do what I did, go on Cyanogenmod's website without a clue on what to do and let the installer do all the work.

It worked for me :p

Are you on Verizon though mate?
If so then thats cool but if not then be careful OP.. im not up to date on s3 stuff but the last i knew, once a Verizon samsung had been updated to 4.3 the bootloader was locked/unlockable meaning no way to install any custom (unofficial) firmware (recovery or rom).
Hopefully im wrong and someone got around that but best place to ask is in the verizon gs3 all things root sub-forum at bottom of this page.
Good luck :thumbup:

Upvote 0
If so then thats cool but if not then be careful OP.. im not up to date on s3 stuff but the last i knew, once a Verizon samsung had been updated to 4.3 the bootloader was locked/unlockable meaning no way to install any custom (unofficial) firmware (recovery or rom).
Hopefully im wrong and someone got around that but best place to ask is in the verizon gs3 all things root sub-forum at bottom of this page.

ok i hope your wrong too cause i go crazy without being able to customize. i love CM. not the boring old stock. so your saying it might not be possible to put any recovery or roms on the verizon s3? but the bootloader is unlockable? im confused on people going back an forth telling me that i can or cant. can someone give me a sure answer? all im looking to get is CM and a custom recovery such as twrp or even clockworkmod (prefer touch version) can this happen on the s3 on verizon or not?

on a sidenote, not that it really matters at subject at hand but, i already tried unlocking the bootloader with some app i think was from xda. i didnt read enough into the fine print that it wasnt suppose to be used on anything newer then 4.0. so i installed the app and opened it and clicked unlock and it said unlocked so i restarted my phone and after the shutdown. it remained black. no sign of life at all. i pulled the battery put it back in and still no luck. so im thinking the bootloader corrupted when trying to unlock and gave me a hard brick. i tried the jig trick to get into download mode and nothing. someone told me to get jtag service done to it to reflash the bootloader and correct it. but i went to walmart (where i got it from) and told them it wouldnt load up or even turn on. so the guy in the wireless store hooked up all this stuff to it and took it apart and said it was tampered with and that some chip was fried. thing is i never took it apart and messed with it physically. could a corrupt bootloader fry a chip in the phone or do you think that was just his guess or a way of saying that the systems corrupt? im not sure but he went ahead and sent it out to the manufacturer to see if they can fix it. i might try an jtag it myself if they try an charge me. i know i dont know much about this but thats what youtube is for lol. so thats the update on whats going on with my phone. but when it does get fixed, still dont want to give up on getting CM!

Upvote 0
The 4.3 update contained a thing called Knox security which activated a kind of "fuse" on a chip that would be physically "blown" if any unofficial firmware is flashed so that's maybe what the dude meant.
On most gs3s that just means your warranty is now void but I don't know about Verizon.. They're a pretty nasty company when it comes to modding "their" phones :thumbdown:

As I said though, best place to ask is in the Verizon all things root sub-forum :thumbup:

Good luck mate :beer:

Upvote 0

Wrong person :p

And you were there when I did that lol XD just telling him what I did a long time ago...

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
The 4.3 update contained a thing called Knox security which activated a kind of "fuse" on a chip that would be physically "blown" if any unofficial firmware is flashed so that's maybe what the dude meant.
On most gs3s that just means your warranty is now void but I don't know about Verizon.. They're a pretty nasty company when it comes to modding "their" phones :thumbdown:

As I said though, best place to ask is in the Verizon all things root sub-forum :thumbup:

Good luck mate :beer:
so you are saying that having 4.3 has knox which in case mine does. so nothing can be flashed onto it such as CM, custom recovery or anything of any kind? so would jtag even fix the blown "fuse" and get it running again to at least get into odin mode? or does it physically need replaced?

Upvote 0
As far as i know, having a blown "e-fuse" doesnt damage the phone in any way, it just signals that the phones been "tampered" with mate.
As i said though, i dont know about Verizon so ask in the right forum :thumbup:

ok i dont care if it comes up tampered with. i didnt buy a warranty for it any ways in case this happened because what warranty would fix or replace a phone your purposely messing with? ill surely look into that verizon sub forum so thanks for that and everything else but to get back to the topic at hand, i just wanna be clear, all i did was try to unlock the bootloader on 4.3. which many say is impossible. turns out what i used was incompatible with anything about 4.0. so i have become hard bricked. no signs of life except when plugged into my PC it will just like detect it and remove itself on an off over an over. so i know there has to be power getting to it. its just corrupted thanks to the attempt of unlocking the bootloader. now id like to know do you think (feel free to make any input other guys) that if i get the JTAG kit shown in the youtube videos that is commonly used will fix my issue? i just wanna be sure cause those things i seen are over 100 USD bucks. that dont even include the cables that are needed. thats just for the box itself. so i dont wanna get the box and it be useless. but if itll work then ill get it just in case if something like this were to happen again. so please answer this question if you could. also about the CM installer, im not sure how the installer actually works because ive always flashed it using a custom recovery on other phones. so to use the installer, do you need root? bootloader unlocked? custom recovery installed? (not sure if any rom or recoveries possible with a locked bootloader)

sorry for writing so many questions. im just really into this whole android developing thing but there isnt a place to learn all this stuff. all i could find was how to make an android app lol. so sorry and thanks for helping me out everyone!:D

Upvote 0
UPDATE: ok so i followed the instructions on the website and got both installers on my phone and computer and when i connect my device, it detects it but comes up as device not supported by installer. so whats the case behind that?

Download the Samsung USB driver, easiest way to do it is just to look it up online, or download Samsung Kies.

Upvote 0
ok i downloaded kies 3 from the samsung site. i restarted both my phone and computer after installation. i followed the directions on the CM site and when i opened the CM app on my phone, it warned me that my phone wasnt supported. so i proceeded to try anyways and after switching to the installer, i get the error that my device isnt supported still. On the app, i went to the CM site to look at the supported devices list and unfortunately, all S3s were there but Verizons. Is there no hope for CM on Verizon?

Upvote 0
ok i downloaded kies 3 from the samsung site. i restarted both my phone and computer after installation. i followed the directions on the CM site and when i opened the CM app on my phone, it warned me that my phone wasnt supported. so i proceeded to try anyways and after switching to the installer, i get the error that my device isnt supported still. On the app, i went to the CM site to look at the supported devices list and unfortunately, all S3s were there but Verizons. Is there no hope for CM on Verizon?

I can't believe how lucky I got when I installed CM, you sure your phone's model number is Verizon's?

Upvote 0
yes. i downloaded the phone info app and what it says is Phone model: SCH-I535PP Device Type:d2vzw Bootloader version: I535PPVRUAND3 Baseband Version: I535PPVRAND3
not sure if those last two mattter but i went ahead and installed bootstrap since i wasnt having any luck. now im confused on what roms i can use cause forums say that it needs to be the same android version 4.3 and needs to have the kernel that the stock has which seems different then the regular verizon wireless one. (contract) it needs flashed after the rom. so im confused on what roms to use or are compatible. plus on top of that need to have 4.3 running on it. ugh i just want CM! this gets so frustrating!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones