• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help installing Cyanogenmod in Galaxy s3

New download of the Gapps nano, same error. Here is a picture:
20160121_155244.jpg

Upvote 0
Yes, I agree, that TWRP might be better and might solve the Gapps flashing issue. I use TWRP. I haven't used CWM for years, but that doesn't mean it's not good. I'm just not as familiar with it right now.

If I believe CWM (from your screenshot), then there is some kind of error with the Gapps which is odd since you downloaded it twice. I assume that you are using the correct Gapps, i.e. Gapps for CM 12.1, so that means the problem must be with CWM.

O.K. At this point in time, I would flash the other Gapps for 12.1 (not the Open Gapps) that you had at least some success with earlier and see if you still get problems. I'd also perhaps look into installing TWRP recovery. I'm really hesitant to suggest that though, but if it must be done, it must be done.

Upvote 0
Contrary to what i said before, i've been able to use Gplay for the last hour with only a few errors (seem to stop working when i try to install more than one app at the same time). What i did was flashing CM from the updates folder in my sd card without even try to flash Gapps. As I was able to observe before, when you flash CM over an old installation with Gapps included, Gplay stays installed within the new OS installation, and it works!, not very well but I've been able to install the few Gapps I really use. If after a few restarts these errors worsen I will go the TWRP way, thanks for the links and the advice, I'll keep you posted.

Upvote 0
Contrary to what i said before, i've been able to use Gplay for the last hour with only a few errors (seem to stop working when i try to install more than one app at the same time). What i did was flashing CM from the updates folder in my sd card without even try to flash Gapps. As I was able to observe before, when you flash CM over an old installation with Gapps included, Gplay stays installed within the new OS installation, and it works!, not very well but I've been able to install the few Gapps I really use. If after a few restarts these errors worsen I will go the TWRP way, thanks for the links and the advice, I'll keep you posted.
Usually helps if you can update Google Play store and Google Play services first.

Reactions: amagras
Upvote 0
I only started playing with custom roms a few months ago and keep my S3 as a backup. My daily driver is a Moto X Pure Edition stock so I'm probably not the best to ask. The few roms that I've tried I like. You might be able to pick up tips and tricks on CM forums. Trying new things is great and you can usually fix what goes wrong if you can get into recovery or download mode. Reason I said to keep stock firmware handy. Backups are your best friend.

Reactions: amagras
Upvote 0
Thanks again guys, then now it's all a matter of reading and researching. I appreciate all your help, this thread has been a nice first experience.
BTW, should I install SuperSU or something?
Cm has PrivacyGuard to manage root. But you are welcome to flash SuperSU if you like. At least use the latest stable SuperSU which is 2.46. But SuperSU isn't necessary, for some its a preference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones