1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Help! Is there an app for this?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by chrisbilsby, Jun 8, 2011.

1. chrisbilsby

chrisbilsby Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    I am with vodafone and i have unlimited texts. But they are only unlimited if they are less than 160 characters. Problem.... i send really long texts so i am being charged extra. Is there an app that allows me too split up the texts so they send individually one after the other rather than all as one text? This way i won't get the extra charges.

Thank you :)

Advertisement

2. TheBrit

TheBrit Android Expert
    None

Aug 25, 2009
    UK
    Wow! Vodafone have screwed you over! :thinking:

Edit: Your phone already does this all by itself and the receiving phone stitches the messages back together again.

3. Gorf123

Gorf123 Newbie
    None

Apr 17, 2011
    I'm not even sure how they can tell a text has gone over 160 characters. They'd have to actually "read" the text on its way through the servers.

Long texts are split into texts of 153 characters - the extra 7 are used as control characters to stitch the message back together at the receiving end. So you can get 160 characters into one text, 306 into two, 459 into three texts etc.

I'm surprised Vodafone do it. Are you sure you're not accidentally using the MMS feature to send texts?

Incidentally, my "unlimited" texts from Virgin, aren't. It's capped at 3,000
    Not that's an issue: My record is 180 in a month.

4. chrisbilsby

chrisbilsby Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    I know :(

Yeh i thought that but i called vodafone up and they said that still counts as a long text so i will be charged extra :/

5. chrisbilsby

chrisbilsby Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    This is why i am so confused. I just assumed that it would be sent as different texts, not a long one. Nope definitely not sending as MMS.

6. Bane

Bane Member
    None

May 5, 2010
    Go SMS and Handcent will split long text messages into 160 character chunks.

7. chrisbilsby

chrisbilsby Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    Are you sure this will work? Because the standard SMS app on the galaxy S2 has a character count down and moves into text number 2 whilst i carry on typing but i still get charged for a long text :/

8. AdityaSharma

AdityaSharma Lurker
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    can automatic call forward possible in android on gps based ?

9. chrisbilsby

chrisbilsby Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    For anyone that is interested.....

I called Vodafone back and the guy said that what the guy before said was incorrect. I can send as long a text as i like (before it goes into MMS obviously) and it will just count as however many texts i have sent. So i wont be charged for sending a long text as the previous guy stated. However the first guy i spoke to was so adamant that i cant send texts longer then 160 characters without being charged that i still am a bit anxious of sending long texts :/ lol