• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HELP! I've soft-bricked my rooted Galaxy S3!

Please help! I've Soft-bricked my Rooted Galaxy S3!

Hello! I’m new to this forum and I just want to apologize in advance if my question has already been asked, but I searched these forums and the xda forums and couldn't find anything that exactly matched my issue. I rooted my Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-1535 a few months ago with Towelroot and was so happy with the results that I decided that I would attempt to install a custom ROM. (Not the brightest idea when I had NO IDEA what I was doing, I know!) Even though I had installed Titanium Backup Pro w/Root, the only thing that I really understood was that I had frozen Knox (I followed the directions for rooting completely) and life with my new phone was much easier. I by no means understand what these programs are capable of doing. I had installed SuperSu and Busy Box, and I was reading up on what all of the rooting terminology meant, but I was and still am ignorant about the true capabilities of my new and improved phone. I thought that installing a custom ROM was the next step, and that it would be as easy as rooting my phone. In my ignorance I didn't read every word of the instructions as I had when I rooted. I've gone through the history on my laptop so that I could better explain my situation. I installed Odin 3.07, Clockword Mod Recovery, downloaded the drivers for the USB (v1.5.49.0), and I think that I tried to follow a post called "how to update rooted verizon galaxy S3 w/o losing root. http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii/261050-how-do-i-update-without-losing-root.html Luckily I did write down some important information about my phone before my phone wouldn't go into recovery mode at all. Before I soft bricked my S3 these were the details:
SCH-1535
Baseband version: 1535OYUDNEI
Kernel version 3.4.0
Upi@SWDD5809#1
Build#KOT49H.I535VRUDNEI
SEPF_SCH-1535_4.4.2_0032
Hardware 1535.10

Now I can either go into download mode or nothing at all. When I try to start my phone it states:
ODIN MODE
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE
BOOTLOADER AP SWERV: 2

I do remember that every time that I tried to flash the stock.vzw_root66.7z.tar files in ODIN while my phone was connected it said FAIL! I know that I didn’t use the cord that came with my phone when I attempted to flash, and I’ve read many times how important this is. I've searched many forums and I'm sorry if this is an easy fix and I just overlooked earlier posts with the same problem. I'm afraid to do anything else because I've read about phones that are hard-bricked because of newbies like me that have no clue what they are doing! Thank you for your time and patience! If anyone has any ideas on what I should do next I would be extremely grateful.
Becky
<moderator redacted email>
(Instead of trying to explain what I did step by step, I just copied and pasted my browser history. Sorry about the numbering! The history starts at the bottom and ends up at the top with 4:35 AM.)
4:35 AM
Dev-Host - VZW_recovery_I535VRBLK3.tar.md5 - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service
d-h.st

1. 4:35 AM
    [HOW-TO] Unbrick your soft bricked Galaxy S … | Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III | XDA Forums
    forum.xda-developers.com
  2. 4:35 AM
    [HOWTO] [ROOT] [ODIN] No Tripping Flash Coun… | Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III | XDA Forums
    forum.xda-developers.com
  3. 4:35 AM
    [GUIDE][VZW Edition]How to root your Galaxy … | Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III | XDA Forums
    forum.xda-developers.com
  4. 4:35 AM
    download
    clockfieldcenter.rocks
  5. 4:35 AM
    VZW S3 Stuck on CM10 Boot Screen - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    forums.androidcentral.com
  6. 4:35 AM
  7. https://www.youradexchange.com/a/display.php?k=55af55c5f2d3d2861838.4675825&h=da40be88105316976d7931bf4fe50ecd02221027&ban=2861838&r=442221&iid=14375541171143354156118827972744674&exp=prpd&ci===gSKdwBBQQDV4kVbJ1UVsxBHMQAP0QFORVWSJkRSVUUVshDO4gDO0QFONkXDllVCZUFM1QF1VxGKdQDV4kVbJ1UVsxBHMQAP0QFORVWSJkRSVUUVshDO4gDO0QFONkXDllVCZUFM1QF0VxGKdQDV4kVbJ1UVsxBHMQAP0QFORVWSJkRSVUUVshDO4gDO0QFONkXDllVCZUFM1QFtVBT&pm=VslVFJVWSBFaENVF&pabt===QFFcUF&pc=FAQAFUABOQwAG4AAZAgB&id=2861838
  8. 3:48 AM
    root66_VZW_I535VRBLJ1_nowipe.7z | root66_VZW_I535VRBLJ1_nowipe.7z | by mrRobinson for Galaxy S 3_VZW
    androidfilehost.com
  9. 3:47 AM
    root66_VZW_I535VRBLJ1_nowipe.7z | root66_VZW_I535VRBLJ1_nowipe.7z | by mrRobinson for Galaxy S 3_VZW
    androidfilehost.com
  10. 3:44 AM
    S3 stuck on "firmware upgrade enountered" screen? - Page 2 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
  11. 3:37 AM
    S3 stuck on "firmware upgrade enountered" screen? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    1. 10:36 PM
      [ROM] [5.0] Samsung Galaxy S3 [d2vzw] [Night… | Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III | XDA Forums
      forum.xda-developers.com
    2. 10:35 PM
      How to Update Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 to Android 5.0 Lollipop LiquidSmooth [Nightly] Custom ROM [Tutorial]
      analogindex.com
    3. 10:33 PM
    4. Login - APK Downloader
      cgihflhdpokeobcfimliamffejfnmfii
    5. 10:33 PM
      Options - APK Downloader
    6. 10:31 PM
      [ROOT] Rashr - Flash Tool - Android Apps on Google Play
    7. 10:31 PM
      play.google.com
    8. 10:22 PM
      My s3 from verizon (sch-1535) wont accept any custom recovery - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    9. 10:16 PM
      Root Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 Android 4.4.2 Kitkat | XDA-ROOT
    10. 10:15 PM
      Root and Install CWM Recovery on Verizon Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 Android 4.1.1/4.1.2 | DroidViews
    11. 10:14 PM
      Dev-Host - Verizon-GS3-CASUAL-Revision131a.jar - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service
      d-h.st
    12. 10:12 PM
      Update Rooted Verizon Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 with Latest OTA Packages without Losing Root | DroidViews
    13. 10:11 PM
      Ultimate Android Rooting & Best Custom ROMs in 2015 Guide
      trendblog.net
    14. 10:11 PM
      trendblog.net
    15. 10:10 PM
      You searched for samsung galaxy s3 | trendblog.net - Mobile, Tech & Gadgets
      trendblog.net
    16. 8:57 PM
      How to root Samsung Galaxy S3 CDMA SCH-I535
      androidxda.com
    17. 8:55 PM
      Download Samsung USB Drivers (v1.5.49.0)
      androidxda.com
    18. 8:32 PM
      Download Odin307.zip free - Android Host
      androidhost.org
    19. 8:31 PM
      Download Odin 3.07

20. 10:36 PM
      [ROM] [5.0] Samsung Galaxy S3 [d2vzw] [Night… | Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III | XDA Forums
      forum.xda-developers.com
    21. 10:35 PM
      How to Update Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 to Android 5.0 Lollipop LiquidSmooth [Nightly] Custom ROM [Tutorial]
      analogindex.com
    22. 10:33 PM
      My Android Apps - Google Play
      play.google.com
    23. 10:33 PM
      Login - APK Downloader
    24. 10:33 PM
      Options - APK Downloader
    25. 10:31 PM
      play.google.com
    26. 10:31 PM
      Google Play
      accounts.google.com
    27. 10:31 PM
      Sign in - Google Accounts
      accounts.google.com
    28. 10:31 PM
      play.google.com
    29. 10:22 PM
      My s3 from verizon (sch-1535) wont accept any custom recovery - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    30. 10:16 PM
      Root Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 Android 4.4.2 Kitkat | XDA-ROOT
    31. 10:15 PM
      Root and Install CWM Recovery on Verizon Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 Android 4.1.1/4.1.2 | DroidViews
    32. 10:14 PM
      Dev-Host - Verizon-GS3-CASUAL-Revision131a.jar - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service
      d-h.st
    33. 10:12 PM
      Update Rooted Verizon Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 with Latest OTA Packages without Losing Root | DroidViews
    34. 10:11 PM
      trendblog.net
    35. 10:11 PM
      trendblog.net
    36. 8:57 PM
      How to root Samsung Galaxy S3 CDMA SCH-I535
      androidxda.com
    37. 8:55 PM
      Download Samsung USB Drivers (v1.5.49.0)
      androidxda.com
    38. 8:32 PM
      Download Odin307.zip free - Android Host
      androidhost.org
    39. 8:31 PM
      Download Odin 3.07
    40. 8:29 PM
      Download Sony Xperia USB Drivers
      androidxda.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: fatnickd1
Hey Becky, welcome to our AndroidForums :).

I'm not an S3 guy, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help to you, so I'll just say welcome and hello to a fellow Hoosier and let the S3 root experts help you out.

Cheers and best of luck!

(btw, I removed your email address from the above--don't want the spambots to harvest your email addy :))

Upvote 0
Since you seem to have the drivers installed, give this a try...

Download the stock 4.4.2 firmware from http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SCH-I535/
  • Extract (unzip) the firmware file
  • Download Odin v3.10.6
  • Extract Odin ZIP file
  • Open Odin v.3.10.6
  • Reboot Phone in Download Mode (press and hold Home + Power + Volume Down buttons)
  • Connect phone and wait until you get a blue sign in Odin
  • Add the firmware file to AP / PDA
  • Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked
  • Click the start button, sit back and wait few minutes

If that fails, try shutting off the phone and rebooting the PC and then try again. BTW, if you have another cable, it might be worth a try, too.

Upvote 0
I tried with with the original cord and a different one as well. It's definitely SCH-1535. I couldn't get http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SCH-I535/ to download the firmware. I did finally download it from stockroms: http://server12.stockroms.net/download/GalaxyS3/SGH-I535/4.4.2/I535VRUDNE1_I535VZWDNE1_VZW.zip?token=241156085 Maybe that's the problem? My phone is just stuck on the red verizon screen (which is so much better than how it was, don't think that I'm complaining!) I tried to flash with the sd card, w/o the card and everytime odin says PASS! You guys are getting me closer! I'm so excited! Do you think that someone could please send me a link to the firmware again? Sam mobile won't even let me download it, it will stop at 1 hr (downloading time left) and 59 min and switch back and forth between the two. It wants me to pay for a premium account. Also, what should I use to unzip ODIN?

Upvote 0
7-zip is a free decompression utility. Give that a try to unzip Odin.

As for the stock rom from sammobile.com, yeah it's going to be slow for the free download. I think you just have to be patient. If you're confident that the stockroms firmware is legit (I don't know one way or the other) then you should be able to flash that with Odin, too. It could be that you just need to use this version of Odin.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones