• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help! Living in Korea with no games!

Kheldar

Lurker
May 22, 2010
I just bought a new HTC Desire here in Korea. Thanks to Korea's wonderful game rating system, Google decided to eliminate all of their games in Korea. I haven't even had the chance to play a single one. Since Market is tied with phone provider (or current location?), has anyone heard of a way around this? Is there a way to download games directly to a PC? Thanks!

I'm not sure on the Korean-only sim card. I read somewhere that phones in Korea are locked in with the provider which makes it difficult bringing outside phones to Korea. I don't speak Korean either but I had a friend help translate. If you have an F series visa, you should have no problems.

I haven't tried to calibrate my keyboard. My keyboard works fine, what are the benefits to calibrating?

Upvote 0
If you ever decide to root your phone, you can use Market enabler and spoof your location. Then, you can download directly from the Android market.

Personally, I'm a bit paranoid about downloading APKs from other sites. Check the permissions carefully!

Me, I install from the regular Market only. I know it's still not 100% guaranteed to be safe, but it keeps me at ease.

Upvote 0
Hey I'm new to smartphones and android. Just got mine last Friday. I also live in Korea and was a little bummed about the game block and google searching brought me here. I followed Yenzehn's advice and downloaded the SlideME app manager and so far have successfully downloaded 1 game with 2 pending. It did flip me some b.s. about cancelling the download and not being charged (though it was free) and I just clicked download again and it went through. Not sure if it's fail proof, but worth tinkering with.

Upvote 0
i've had Galaxy S 1 for about a year now and this is how I get my game fix:

1 - T store has a good selection of free games, a lot of them are Korean though, but some are in English

2 - there's an app called My Market which gives you unrestricted access to apps in other countries and also lets you download games for free sometimes...not always though

3 - if you are able to get apk file from elsewhere, you can usually install it manually using the Android installed app and KIES software or I guess you could just use ASTRO and do it directly from your phone. i don't do this anymore tohugh because torrents never have any good new games and it's very time consuming to install them

4 - if your phone is rooter, use the market unlocker, like someone suggested and you can then install directly from the market or, better even, AppBrain, which has games that were removed/not available on Market. with appbrain, you can get some really awesome games for free and sync them all at once in a second.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones