1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

HELP - Lost phone, what can I do?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by EuropaCar, Dec 20, 2012.

1. EuropaCar

EuropaCar Lurker

I have recently lost my android phone and I believe it was stolen. I did not have any apps on it to remotely disable or wipe the data.
    Does anyone know anything I can do to protect my data?

I have changed my gmail password from my computer, but my friend has told me that they are still able to access gmail on their android phone after a password change from the computer. Isn't that a security flaw??

I hvae tried remotely downloading androidlost and plan B but neither seemed to be working. At the moment the phone appears to be turned off (goes straight to voice mail)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!
    well i was going to suggest plan b. but it does not help that your phone is dead (hopefully not). so you say it does not work. it can't find your phone?

also in the future you may want to get Lookout Security & Antivirus

it can detect your battery life and save the last known location before the phone dies.

3. EuropaCar

EuropaCar Lurker

thanks for your response
    the phone was on earlier and at that time I tried androidlost and plan B. both said "installed" on the google play website but neither seemed to be doing anything. (I tried sending "androidlost register" and "locate" via SMS to activate each app but neither worked).
    Now when I go onto the google play website it doesn't list either app as installed.

Does changing my gmail password not protect at least my gmail/talk apps?

==edit==
    there is something on the iphone where you can lock/locate your phone. is there anything like this with android? any way to remotely wipe the phone?

4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

if you had lookout you can do a remote wipe. not sure now though. there might be other apps that can do this.

try installing plan b again and this time text it right away. also have you checked your gmail account? it is supposed to send the location there.

5. EuropaCar

EuropaCar Lurker

Yeah I checked my gmail account
    I'm not sure I can install any apps now that the phone is off.

Is there really know way to at least block access to the google apps?

6. EuropaCar

EuropaCar Lurker

any ideas?

7. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator

If the device is off the only thing you can really do is let your provider know and they will disable the phone entirely from ever being used again.

Hope this helps and thanks for joining the forums :)

ocnbrze likes this.
  8. EuropaCar

EuropaCar Lurker

I've talked to the provider and it seems the only thing they can do is deactivate it from the network. Meaning the thief is still able to use the phone for everything else just not call or txt..

9. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator

Well then that is all you can do unfortunately. Sorry about your luck, hopefully you have some better luck with phones!