• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me add a custom language to Android

XxLr23Xx

Lurker
Mar 8, 2021
Hi, i hope this is not too ambitious but I want to edit the english language in android!!

I have no coding knowledge but I feel i should be able to pull this off.

What I want to do is basically replace the english language with a shorthand english .
Eg.
Change ,
1)Settings to Sett.
2)Back to Bck . Etc

Is this something i will be able to pull off with help?? Or do I need to learn the whole coding language deal ??
Any response is greatly appreciated!!!

Hi, i hope this is not too ambitious but I want to edit the english language in android!!

I have no coding knowledge but I feel i should be able to pull this off.

What I want to do is basically replace the english language with a shorthand english .
Eg.
Change ,
1)Settings to Sett.
2)Back to Bck . Etc

Is this something i will be able to pull off with help?? Or do I need to learn the whole coding language deal ??
Any response is greatly appreciated!!!

I think you'd definitely need to build a custom version of Android for your phone or tablet with the languages changes you want made to it. I'm not a dev myself, but I think it would be rather ambitious, especially if you have no experience. FYI everything you need to know about Android development should be here. https://source.android.com/setup

Upvote 0
I think you'd definitely need to build a custom version of Android for your phone or tablet with the languages changes you want made to it. I'm not a dev myself, but I think it would be rather ambitious, especially if you have no experience. FYI everything you need to know about Android development should be here. https://source.android.com/setup

Thats out of my league...lol...i just wanted the shorthands....but thanks ..

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0

Thanks but this is not it..it's abit more complicated that that...I'm talking about the system language .

Like how you would reverse engineer an apk to edit the app language...i thought it wouldnt be too complicated to do it with the system language since I can even change the fonts on a rooted phone with just a root explorer.

Theres a post about it , that's almost the same...it has to do with adding custom locales...basically system languages!!!
(Like Hindi, Tagalog,Korean. Etc)

I thought editing those locales would do the trick but I can't seem to find anything on the interwebs!!

If it's gonna take to build a whole android rom....i would have to abandon ship..still hopeful it's not complicated...still searching...lol
:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Reactions: ocnbrze and MrJavi
Upvote 0
REQUIREMENTS:

1. Custom recovery
2. Root
3. Xposed Framework
4. Xposed installer
5. Settings Editor (Xposed module)

https://repo.xposed.info/module/com.wilco375.settingseditor

Screenshot_2021-03-09-12-13-34.png

Upvote 0
Reactions: MrJavi and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
REQUIREMENTS:

1. Custom recovery
2. Root
3. Xposed Framework
4. Xposed installer
5. Settings Editor (Xposed module)

https://repo.xposed.info/module/com.wilco375.settingseditor

View attachment 156776

Edit :-
Ive rooted my phone and installed xposed but everytime I try to flash xposed framework, I keep bricking my phone... I don't know whats the problem.
I have a 4 year old phone running
Android Oreo 8.1.
Architecture - Arm
I don't know if im doing something wrong on my end but I've read up every article I can on XDA forums and watched a lot of YT tutorials.
But I can't get it right.
And I don't even know if xposed can get me what I want.
I don't know 1 line of code so it's pretty hard for me.

I'm a 3D student, so before I get in too deep, I have to abandon this.
I wanted to do this for a video, Ill try to achieve what I want with editing!!

I'd love to continue it some time in the future!
Hopefully I will.

Thanks for all those who helped!!

Last edited:
Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones