• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me (att data polling)

You can get an unsubsidized smartphone and not get a data plan right? Just use your wifi for all internet needs

No actually under the contract they can add the data plan to your account if they find out you are using a smartphone. And since the IMEI can tell the carrier what phone you have if they choose to search they will find out.
PLAN TERMS - Wireless from AT&T.
Under part 1 data plans.

Upvote 0
As far as them adding you from what I have read it is that way with all the major US carriers. But the only ones that phones can be easly done with are the GSM ones since on CDMA they have to add the phone to their list to have it work.

As to your other question I am not sure since I do not have a google voice acct. I am still waiting on it.

Upvote 0
One thing you can try is to keep your family plan on AT&T, get a the evo on sprint, get a data only plan, get google voice and set it up to use your AT&T minutes while using the free sms on voice. Only thing is you would not get mms.

Would that be possible?

It might be possible (would Sprint even do a data only plan on the Evo? They seem to have some pretty strict plan rules for the Evo, eg. the $10 "bend over" fee). An interesting thought, but I'm too tired to try and imagine the forwarding routine and figure out if I would have to carry around 2 phones. I just got a GV account today, so it's something to ponder tomorrow.

Upvote 0
If you get a "data only" plan, just setup a SIP account or Skype for phone service. There are many VoIP providers where you can configure the account which is servicing your home, to also be used on the cell via data connection. Technically, I can setup my Vonage account/number on my phone, but right now I'm using "Skype Out" for $3/mo, which gives me unlimited outbound minutes. Inbound is only ~$10/mo or so.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones