• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

help me before i smash the f@cking thing. hero auto power for alarm?

Don G&T

Dec 7, 2009
Hi all

so i got the new hero and was initially happy as a pig in ...

the dust has settled and its actually quite infuriating. im not going to bitch on and on but a couple of things that the developers really shouldn't have flaked on..

the flash on the camera. i know its a net smart phone but ffs why have 5 mpg without even a led flash

the alarm function?! maybe im missing something cos i haven't seen anyone else post and correct if im wrong but it doesn't have an auto power option ?

i hope im wrong and just haven't seen the option to auto power.

also having to get the thing unlocked to put my old sim in and transfer the numbers is pretty shitty too.

vent over

Don

I know what you mean about the Hero not having a flash but you will have know this before getting the phone.

There is a lot of talk in about the auto power on feature but nobody seems to have a way of having the phone auto power on, people also don't know if the android os or hardware is able to do it. Why do you want it to auto power on? can you not leave the phone turned on? you can put it in to airplane mode where it wont ring if somebody calls you and it will not drain your battery if only the alarm is set.

All new phones are tricky to get unlocked soon after they are released.

JPLamb

Upvote 0
hey thanks for the reply

i didnt know before i got the phone and was quite disappointed to be honest. but i can live with it i guess.

i want to be able to turn it off for two main reasons firstly save battery and secondly my name is aaron and being the first person in everyone's phone book means i get a lot of calls from peoples pockets and when their drunk and needing a taxi/pizza etc.

they have the auto power feature in the hd2 and a flash

i still have no idea how im going to transfer my numbers my old phone tries to send by bluetooth and fails everytime i can transfer the contacts by usb cable but their not saved as contacts just files. putting my old sim in makes the phone ask for network unlock code. its so annoying.

Upvote 0
If you turn your phone to airplane mode it wont ring, and it will act as tho it is turned off till your alarm goes.

with the contacts, there are a few ways you can do it, if you have set your phone to sync with your google account then you could easily enter the contact details there and then they will appear on the phone when it syncs, you could get a sim card back up device which would allow you to put your old sim in back it up then put your new sim in and copy to contacts over, they only cost a few

Upvote 0
thanks guys the old sim is unlocked however when i put it into the hero it asks for a network pin. i dont have a google account as yet and i dont want one. im sending it back n ill see how the next smart phone is.

overall the internet apps are great but the camera lacking flash and the bluetooth being obtuse is a major turn off. ive also just learnt the iphone doesnt have auto power either.

Upvote 0
the old sim is unlocked however when i put it into the hero it asks for a network pin.

Put your new sim in the old phone and copy the contacts there. A google account is not needed but makes the phone loads better. This applies for all Android phones. You are going to have trouble putting your old sim in any new phone unless you buy it unlocked.

Shame you don't like the phone

Upvote 0
Put your new sim in the old phone and copy the contacts there. A google account is not needed but makes the phone loads better. This applies for all Android phones. You are going to have trouble putting your old sim in any new phone unless you buy it unlocked.

Shame you don't like the phone

man i know i was really hoping it would be the best phone ive ever had and its just been a disappointment :(

new sim in the old phone = network unlock pin required :(

sync to outlook not an option i binned it and went for thunderbird.

Upvote 0
yeah i appreciate that and thanks for all the suggestions but the auto power thing is a pain too. i mean who makes a battery intensive phone and doesn't include auto power or puts a camera into it without a flash its just poor.

ive still got a week or so before my 14 days is up set up a google account and transfer the numbers n see if i can live with it

Upvote 0
ok so ive synch'd my old samsung with outlook and installed the htc sync program installed rebooted and now when i press sync now on the pc nothing happens and starting the sync from the phone says please wait......... then says it cant find it on my pc make sure its installed and open( which it is?!)

any ideas?

Upvote 0
the camera lacking flash and the bluetooth being obtuse is a major turn off.
The update to android 2.0 should fix the bluetooth limitations, but i would have to agree that the camera flash isnt likely to be fixed by a firmware update any time soon :D

Having said that, HTC phones have been renowned for their crap cameras for some time, so its not like it was exactly a secret - next time read some more specs & reviews :)

Although i have hopes for next year's lineup... most of those have camera flashes - maybe HTC have finally taken the hint.

im sending it back n ill see how the next smart phone is.
ive also just learnt the iphone doesnt have auto power either.
I think youre going to find that auto power is going to be increasingly rare on smartphones - frankly i was surprised when you said that the HD2 had it.

These are complex devices that are designed to be left switched on all of the time - the operating systems take quite a while to boot compared to dumbphones.

Upvote 0
Google "export contacts thunderbird" for details of how to export to csv. Google provides a template to show you the required field order to import a spreadsheet containing contact details into gmail. Sync contacts with gmail not with HTC's PC Sync. There are posts on here explaining how to overcome duplicate contacts showing on the Hero (some being Google contacts others being from various attempts at HTC PC sync). CsvEd is a handy freeware programme to edit csv files should you not have Excel or another application capable of manipulating a csv file.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones