1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help me choose a phone, please.

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Swipe, May 15, 2011.

1. Swipe

Swipe Newbie

I asked on my other thread and then I noticed the warning that that thread is for introductions only so I'm making a new thread.

See I am looking for a new phone and I would like to get a smartphone. iPhones is very popular here but a friend of my tells me to get an Android. After much searching I ended up here.

I really don't know what to get. I am not tech savvy in terms of phone.

Please help me choose one.

This is mostly what I need.

Big touchscreen phone
    easy keyboard
    I suck at those slidy keyboards things
    Can play movies/games and music
    Easy to operate (Big Plus for me)
    Customizable

I heard about this sense thing, like when you flip the phone over when it's ringing and it will be silent? Is that real? It also rings loud when inside something.

I also heard that when you lose a phone you can access it on the web. I don't know that.

Forgive me. I am new with smart phone. I have a basic phone.

So sorry.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Medion

Medion Android Expert

Given your needs, I'd recommend and HTC phone due to the Sense UI (not all HTC phones have it though, as some T-Mobile phones don't use it). Sense is, IMO, the most intuitive Android UI. It also has the best stock keyboard, IMO.

With that said, I always recommend choosing your carrier first. Since you didn't list a carrier of choice, I'll list my recommendations per carrier:

Verizon - I'd go with the Incredible 2, which has a respectable 4" screen in a nice form factor. If you need the larger 4.3" screen and/or LTE 4G, get the Thunderbolt, but be prepared for some battery life issues.

AT&T - Inspire 4G

Sprint - Evo 4G. But, if you can tolerate a smaller screen with a physical QWERTY, consider the Evo Shift 4G.

T-Mobile - Not an HTC Sense device, but the best Android there is arguably the Google Nexus S, for now. This same phone is also available on Sprint with WiMax support, branded as the Nexus S 4G.

3. Swipe

Swipe Newbie

Oh I'm sorry. I am not American.

So only HTC has these sense? I'll check their website. Thank you so much for their reply.

Question what is UI? Sorry, I'm don't know tech speak.

4. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

Yes, Sense is a HTC ONLY UI(user interface)

5. NightAngel79

Administrator

Also check this out for different carriers/phone choices, its our sister site phandroid: Android Phones

6. Swipe

Swipe Newbie

Oh! Thank you! I'm sorry about the bother.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  7. NightAngel79

Administrator

You saw the post above yours about our sister sire phandroid??

And no bother whatsoever!! We are here as an android community to help out HOWEVER we can!!

8. Swipe

Swipe Newbie

Yes! I'm looking at HTC phones right now :)

Don't now what to pick thought there is so many! Thank you so much for guiding me.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  9. NightAngel79

Administrator

No problem!! The phones with a 'S' at the end of them should be the newer ones btw.
    (oh and i won't be mad at ya if you choose to hit the 'thanks' [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] button!! LOL

Swipe likes this.
  10. Medion

Medion Android Expert

Since you're international, here's your HTC options:

Wildfire S - low end phone, smaller screen, won't see many Android updates
    Desire S - mid-range phone with 3.7" screen
    Incredible S - essentially a Desire S with a 4" screen
    Desire HD - essentially a Desire S with a 4.3" screen
    Desire Z - mid-range phone with 3.7" screen and slide out QWERTY keyboard. Marginally slower than Desire S (200mhz slower CPU, 256MB less RAM)

The Desire HD and Desire Z haven't been refreshed yet this year, and it's expected that at least the HD refresh will be a high-end dual-core phone.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  11. substring

substring Android Enthusiast

Isn't HTC copying Samsung's naming convention because of the popularity of the Galaxy S brand? :)

12. Swipe

Swipe Newbie

What is dual core and do I need it? I think I am liking the Desire HD but is anything the same as this but better? I don't want anything complicated.

I keep reading about this "root" thing, is it like jailbreaking?

13. NightAngel79

Administrator

HA!! Never even thought of that. Wonder how HTC would respond to that, lol.
    Rooting your phone is extremely similar to jailbreaking only you get more access by rooting.

Dual core is the use of 2 logical processing cores... not a really a MUST HAVE yet but it IS the way of the future

Swipe likes this.
  14. Swipe

Swipe Newbie

Thank you so much for answering!

I asked my local cell phone shop if they root cellphones and they said that they don't know what that is. I looked at the mall and said they don't root phones.

Maybe because Android phones is kinda new here and they don't root them yet.

Do I really need a rooted phone? I am going to get a pre-paid sim into my phone. Do I need to unlock and root it to use it?

15. NightAngel79

Administrator

No, rooting is not required or mandatory. You can enjoy the sh*t outta your phone never having rooted it (as i haven't)

And once you pick a phone then it will be easier to answer specifics about what you can/need to do to it

16. Swipe

Swipe Newbie

I'm really liking the Desire HD. Until someone changes my mind, then it is the DHD :)

17. substring

substring Android Enthusiast

Hi Swipe, unless you like to install custom ROM that are not officially released by your carrier or you like to hack your Android phone, there is really no need to root the phone.

Swipe likes this.
  18. Swipe

Swipe Newbie

Okay thank you. No rooting then.