• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me choose a phone, please!

ZingXao

Mar 11, 2011
I'm completely stumped which phone to buy. I've made a couple of topics like this, but am totally unsure what to buy. I'm on a budget, and don't want to go on a contract, so am limited to pay as you go/sim free.

I currently have the LG Optimus One, which I bought about 6 months ago. I've had nothing but problems with it, ranging from restarts to lost texts, hence me wanting a new phone.

I've been looking at the Nexus S (

Thanks for the reply, but I listed those phones as I'm on a budget and they're in my price range. Even though they're not dual core, they're gonna be a heck of an improvement over my current phone.

I just want to know the best one/best buy out of those three that's gonna last me for the next couple of years.

Upvote 0
Galaxy W uses a S-LCD display, most LCD displays use TFT technology, they probably said TFT because they just didnt know what LCD screen was used.

I would go with the Incredible S or Galaxy W, Galaxy W is the quickest of the three but has a smaller screen and slightly less memory, also a 5MP camera vs the 8MP on the Incredible S.

Galaxy W is a bargin for the price but whether you think the Incredible S is worth

Upvote 0
Galaxy W uses a S-LCD display, most LCD displays use TFT technology, they probably said TFT because they just didnt know what LCD screen was used.

I would go with the Incredible S or Galaxy W, Galaxy W is the quickest of the three but has a smaller screen and slightly less memory, also a 5MP camera vs the 8MP on the Incredible S.

Galaxy W is a bargin for the price but whether you think the Incredible S is worth

Upvote 0
There is often a lag on marketing to catch up with Gorilla Glass use. If they don't say it on Day One, then blog sites say it's not there and the mistake repeats even after the true glass spec is published.

If Corning says that the Incredible S has it, then it has it.

The Nexus S doesn't use Gorilla Glass, and I have heard the same for the W.

If you live where there is quartz sand, like me, even Gorilla Glass won't stand up.

I have read people here say that the Nexus S does and doesn't scratch easily, so it probably depends on the environment.

Reactions: ZingXao
Upvote 0
So I just went to a few phone shops by mine, and went to the Carphone Warehouse. Asked some guy about what he thought was best between the Nexus S and the Incredible S... he was all for the Nexus S, but I couldn't understand his reasoning. I'm pretty sure I knew more about the phones than he did. He said the Nexus S was "WAY FASTER CUZ IT'S ON 2.3". I said I liked the HTC cuz it uses Gorilla Glass. First off he didn't know what I meant, then he realised, and said that it didn't make a difference, and Gorilla Glass is still able to be scratched easily. Then he said the Nexus S can record in 720p. I know from looking online it can't. Then he kept on saying that the Nexus S was faster, just because of Gingerbread. I said that there's a release of Gingerbread coming out for the HTC, but he said there wasn't. Then his mate chipped in and said that the HTC was better. Then neither of them knew what I was on about when I said that the Nexus S is getting an update to Ice Cream Sandwich. I should get a job there.

Don't really fancy the Samsung Galaxy W because I'm limited to the Three network, and just basically can't be bothered getting it unlocked, since it boosts up the price.

However, I've seen the Xperia Ray for

Upvote 0
So I just went to a few phone shops by mine, and went to the Carphone Warehouse. Asked some guy about what he thought was best between the Nexus S and the Incredible S... he was all for the Nexus S, but I couldn't understand his reasoning. I'm pretty sure I knew more about the phones than he did. He said the Nexus S was "WAY FASTER CUZ IT'S ON 2.3". I said I liked the HTC cuz it uses Gorilla Glass. First off he didn't know what I meant, then he realised, and said that it didn't make a difference, and Gorilla Glass is still able to be scratched easily. Then he said the Nexus S can record in 720p. I know from looking online it can't. Then he kept on saying that the Nexus S was faster, just because of Gingerbread. I said that there's a release of Gingerbread coming out for the HTC, but he said there wasn't. Then his mate chipped in and said that the HTC was better. Then neither of them knew what I was on about when I said that the Nexus S is getting an update to Ice Cream Sandwich. I should get a job there.

Don't really fancy the Samsung Galaxy W because I'm limited to the Three network, and just basically can't be bothered getting it unlocked, since it boosts up the price.

However, I've seen the Xperia Ray for

Upvote 0
Life is hard :(

I saw the Arc S on sale in the booklet, I think they have one for every month. Its not on the website.

I've never been moved by the LG brand but the specs are really nice. Made in Korea lool :)

We have an LG viewty in the house hold and the UI is very childish :eek: But thats without android. I'm gonna make this purchase quick before I waste anymore time :rolleyes::(

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's the thing about the LG. I've currently got an Optimus One, and after a month or so of owning it I had nothing but problems with it. That's what put's me off the 2X, the fact it's an LG, and when I looked online a lot of reviews have said the phone's sluggish and that the they haven't incorporated the dual core CPU into the phone very well.

So I'm back looking at single cores. That Xpera Arc S seems good. Anyone think the Arc S would be a better buy over the Incredible S, the Nexus S or the Galaxy W?

How good are SE Android's?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones