1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Help me choose my career

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Daniel Fernandes, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Daniel Fernandes

Daniel Fernandes Android Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2016
    Male
    Hi there!
    I am still in school and I am actually stuck on choosing what to become when I grow up. I think you guys can help me out because you have experienced life more than me, and I too have a lot of interest in computers. Heres a bit about me:
    - I like building robots (Arduino) and enjoy creating new algorithms for it, Arduino has to be programmed in C so I learned (and like) programming as well.
    - I spend most of my time on computers, learning more and more stuff about them, I don't put everything to use though.
    - I want to make my own softwares but I doubt my old laptop can handle any compiler. I make batch programs still, cause they don't need compilers.
    - I have an interest in science (only physics actually, I hate chemistry and biology) and space.

Whatever be my career, it has to do something with computers, so can you please tell me what sort of job I should take up?

Advertisement

2. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    I really don't know if this is something a bunch of strangers can help you out with, it's such a subjective, personal issue.

All I can add are a couple of very generalized suggestions. If there are any 'tech' related user groups in your area find one that matches your interests and start going to some of their meetings. Those are often a great place to just absorb knowledge from more experienced brains, plus a good way to build up a social network of potential job contacts related to field you want might want to get into.
    Volunteering is another way to gain experience. With the current wave of budget cuts and the regressive austerity measures being forced onto us as a society there are countless non-profits and small, local businesses looking for badly needed tech support. Target some local organizations and by donating a few hours of labor each week you gain experience while helping out others. And again, you're building up a social network of job contacts. Plus you can also get a better 'feel' for what you do and don't like about a particular job market.

ceabbott2 likes this.
  3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    I can offer you the wisdom of experience and some general observations, but finding your path in this world is up to you.

First, just because you enjoy doing something doesn't necessarily mean you will enjoy it as a career. Unless you are VERY lucky, you will work for someone else, at least for a while. You will have other things bundled in with the fun part of it like economics (the tiny paycheck) and office politics (working with the jerk in the next cubicle). It can poison you to something you love and then you're stuck.

Second, the technology field is a moving target. Everything you just learned is out of date in a year or two. Sometimes faster. You have to keep up to remain employable. This means you have to put in the time.

The work itself is never quite what you expect. If you're part of a big team, then you are given only a small specific part of the project. If you work for a small shop or organization, then you'll need to do many things, some of which may be out of your areas of interest. It's always a compromise.

I don't want to sound all doom and gloom here. It is quite an enjoyable field if you can get accustomed to the environment and find the right group to work with, but many times it's less about the work itself and more about where you do it and who you do it with.

That pretty much covers everything these days. To simplify it maybe we should look and three general areas.

Hardware/engineering:
    This would be designing the bits and pieces that go into technology. This is more a physics and engineering program that you seem to be interested in. But this is one that requires a lot of education. From memory chips, hard disks, CPU's, circuit boards, displays, etc. (all of which are manufactured using robotics) you will need to get in with a fairly established corporation.

Software development/coding: This is designing and writing the code that makes the hardware work. Even here there are vast and varied areas in which to work. This is a LOT of math, math and more math. You could go from the guy who writes the drivers that talk to the chipsets or be a web developer/designer. You could be singlehandedly responsible for Windows 11!! ;)

Software user: How does network engineer or database administrator strike you? Much less glamorous than inventor or programmer, but frankly the job opportunities are greater and it's not quite as hard. While most people have to use an office product or task specific hardware, there is a great need for others to support and configure packaged software so companies can operate.

4. Daniel Fernandes

Daniel Fernandes Android Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2016
    Male
    Well I'm actually from Goa, India and 13 years old. In India, if you are below 16, you cannot work (Sorry didn't mention my age). Still, I liked your ideas though in Goa there aren't too many (maybe none) IT groups. The one that I knew called "Inventrom" was from where I had learned robotics, I can't see them anywhere now. They disappeared without saying goodbye!

5. LV426

LV426 I say we take off and nuke this place from orbit
    Recognized Developer
    None

Oct 16, 2015
    Male
    Software developer
    South West of England
    If you want to write software for a career, I could give you advice. What @lunatic59 said above is good stuff, and I could point out three things I wish someone had told me at the start of my career:-

1. Don't stay in one job for too long (certainly at the start of your career)
    2. Try to stay up to date with modern technology developments. Things can change quickly. Don't let your skills get out of date.
    3. Make yourself seemingly indispensable. Don't be afraid to take on the tough tasks which nobody else is prepared to do. Carve out a specific role for yourself. Be the 'go to' guy on something.

Taking contract roles is great, not only because it pays very well, but you get exposed to lots of different technologies. Contract roles suit younger people because they don't have strong family ties, and can be more mobile in terms of where they work.

Above all, do what you enjoy, and what suits your personality. I kind of got lucky.

Oh yes and I fully agree that it's the people you work with who can either make the job heaven, or hell.

I could go on, but I wish you the best of luck in whatever choices you make.

Member243850, olbriar and lunatic59 like this.
  6. no one

no one Android Expert

Dec 8, 2010
    The others have given you some sound advice. The path you walk is your own. You get guidance from those that have walked their own path before you, but this isn't anyone who can make the journey for you.

One more piece of advice, don't ever grow up. Life is far too short for such nonsense,[​IMG]

Member243850 likes this.
  7. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    13? Your way too young to worry what career to choose, go have fun as a kid, it only goes around once. Then when you graduate, you'll find your path.

svim likes this.
  8. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    OK, that does make a difference at least as far as context. ;) So hat tip to you for already focusing on your future, when I was your age I wasn't looking any further into my future than a couple of months at the most. I wouldn't worry too much about an actual job in anything, things just change too fast. Desktop PCs and operating systems continue to have a really strong legacy grip in a lot of job markets but that's starting to level off as mobile devices and everything-online continue to grow more prevalent. At your age even if you focus on teaching yourself a specific programming language now, that will be a hit-or-miss thing as by the time you do graduate from college, it might continue being a job-transferable skill or it might be completely obsolete.
    But keep messing around with things like your Arduino. Microcontrollers and embedded systems are destined to be the foundation that support any number of upcoming technologies. Self-driving cars and trucks, ovens controlled by smartphone apps, clothes that monitor health issues are all on the verge of becoming typical, everyday things.

Doing a quick online search for Goa it appears to have some impressive tech and engineering schools in the area, I'm kind of jealous of that but I do hope you get to immerse yourself completely into one of them.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goa#Education

9. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    Security Guard to start. Use your computer skills to make people safer.

I feel you're young Daniel. That's a good thing.

Computer skills are good but, helping people is good for karma if not your payroll.

My old *** chose helping. :thinking: Probably because I live on a family owned house and the rent is really low compared to renting from strangers.

Rent is like 30 precent of your income when you move away from home.