1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Help me find the right ROM for me

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lexluthor, May 8, 2012.

1. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert
    None

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I have Droid X, running stock .621, rooted.

I just got my wife an HTC One S, running ICS and I'm jealous.

Right now, I'm just waiting out the days until Verizon offers something worth using my upgrade on. Looks like that's still going to be at least a couple of months away.

In the meantime, I'd like to breathe some fresh life into my DX, but I don't want something buggy.

I need working GPS, Camera (video would be nice too), phone functions. I'd like to be able to install Swype. I'd like flash to work. Working bluetooth would would be nice. Maybe I could live without some stuff, but at least I'd like to know what I'd be getting into before I install something.

I don't care about (or even really want) themes, different fonts, additional lock screens, funky notification bar icons or anything like that. I'd be perfectly happy with stock ICS, if it wasn't buggy.

Does something like that even exist or because there's no official ICS for the DX, there are always going to be some major bugs/issues?

If there's something worth trying, I'll be happy to give it a go. I understand that I'll have to do a data wipe, what's the best way to restore my data after a ROM update? Do I just back up user apps and user app data with Titanium before the update and then just restore all of that after or is there a better/safer/easier way to migrate ROMs?

I do already have CWM installed, so, I think, I just have to boot up, get into the CWM menu and do the data/cache wipe and then load the ROM zip file to upgrade ROM, right? At least that's the general directions? Once I figure out exactly which ROM, if any, I'll ask for further help so that I don't screw it up.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Advertisement

2. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert
    None

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Got some help in another forum last night and wound up installing Gummy ICS. I really screwed up the process and wound up having to SBF, but it was a good learning experience.

I'm truly stunned as to how much more responsive the phone is as compared to GB Stock. We'll see if it stays that way, but, right now, I'm thrilled.

Few little annoyances here and there, but my goal really was just to add a little live to an aging phone and give me a refreshed toy to hold me over until an acceptable upgrade phone becomes available.

3. Droidxxxxx

Droidxxxxx Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 25, 2012